Coil Spring Snapped

Soldato
Just driving home and noticed a nasty rattle coming from the rear wheel on the driver side. Got home grabbed a torch and the bottom section on the coil spring has snapped of. The Car is a Vauxhall Astra how much is this going to cost me to get sorted ???

2015-08-24%2022.31.02.jpg

Soldato
Pretty cheap, 2 new springs shouldn't even run much into the hundreds, fitted.

Generally recommended to replace in pairs.

Man of Honour
Replace both sides at the same time. If one has gone there's a chance the other isn't far behind it. Both rear's on my Astra G snapped at the same time. You can pick new springs up on ebay for £15-35. It's a really easy job to replace them and you don't even need a spring compressor. Jack the rear up and remove the wheel. Stick a jack under the rear axle and just take the weight. Undo the lower shock absorber bolt and lower the jack holding the rear axle up. The spring can then be replaced, the axle jacked back up and the shock refitted. Repeat for the other side. The whole job can be done in less than a hour.

Associate
Often if one goes the other is very close behind.

When my front left one cracked at the base I place an order for some new front springs, whilst waiting for delivery the other front one cracked.

Soldato
Meh, I've been passenger in a car when the front left spring went through the tyre at speed. Wasn't that dramatic tbh, inconvenient that we couldn't get the jack under with a flat tyre and half a spring though.

Soldato
Meh, I've been passenger in a car when the front left spring went through the tyre at speed. Wasn't that dramatic tbh, inconvenient that we couldn't get the jack under with a flat tyre and half a spring though.

I have too - very smokey and dramatic noise but quite controllable

Either way replace both unless gheure quite new, the other one isn't going to be far behind

Soldato

Thats clearly a guarantee that every time a spring snaps, nothing bad will happen at all

Back
Top Bottom