Coil whine free PSU - Recommendations

Associate
Hi All,

I know coil whine can be a bit of a lottery but there definitely appears to be PSU's out there that looking at various reviews/reviews that seems to be more susceptible that others.

I have a EVGA GQ which whines with my RTX 3080 (was fine before on my 5700) and a quick google does show it seems to have a history of whining for some people and its generally considered a mid/low tier PSU.

So what 750-850w should I go for ? I heard the RM (non x) have reports of whining, is the RM X worth giving a shot ? I only have a 5600x and yet to see over 500w at the wall so 750w will be fine.

Associate
OP
A quick fix on coil whine. I apply Vsync at driver level, will limit FPS to refresh rate of monitor. A long shot but may reduce it until you get new one. A new PSU.

Coil whine is a lottery, I have had 2 Corsair PSU's coil whine free. My EVGA current 750 watt PSU is coil whine free.

Try and get a Gold rated PSU, means that the PSU has greater control on power draw, which may reduce noise. Oh and one with a fan that is silent.

Yeah my current EVGA GQ is a gold PSU but generally seems to be mid tier on most tier lists.

My Coil whine even though does change tone/pitch with FPS seems to be purely down to GPU load/power draw, so even at 4k and 60fps its just as loud (lower pitch) then 1080p at 250fps. I originally thought it was the GPU but the noise is definitely coming from the PSU

Associate
OP
Yeah that's my plan though I need a new PSU to replace it while its being RMA'd first, would then sell the fixed/replaced EVGA.

Back
Top Bottom