Cold smoking at home

Soldato
I’m thinking of complimenting my sous vide steaks with cold smoking and I’m trying to pin down the best method and kit for the job.

Does anyone here smoke at home? (Not the 420 variety!)

I’m assuming cold smoking is the correct route to go down, as I don’t want to undo the precision cooking of the sous vide by further cooking the steaks during a hot smoke?

As for kit, I think I’ve narrowed my search down to a couple of options:

Smoking Gun Pro: Seems like minimal faff, easy to use indoors, no mess etc... but I have no idea how a steak smoked in a single blast of smoke, then sealed in a bowl for an hour, would compare to a “properly” smoked steak that’s been smoked for hours from a continuous smoke source.

ProQ: Again, minimal faff. Just chuck in some dust then stick it in any kind of suitable container and let it burn (up to 10 hours). This option appeals, as it feels like “proper” cold smoking, but again, I have no idea how long is best for steaks... plus I’m also assuming if you’re going to be smoking for hours, it really needs to be temperature controlled!?

Cameron Stovetop smoker: I know it’s a hot smoker, but I figure I can still use it for cold smoking (in conjunction with either the smoking gun or the ProQ above) just with the added bonus that if I did want to hot smoke, I can just shove it on the hob!

Appreciate any input from experts :D

Soldato
OP
I’ve got a polyscience smoking gun. Have you considered just using some liquid smoke? Or a liquid smoke molasses mix? Plus other smokey ingredients to get the flavour profile you want? Chefsteps used all those kinda tricks with their apartment ribs.

I’ve got some liquid smoke but haven’t tried it yet. I’ve seen a few videos where it’s compared to real smoked meat.... and it never seems to fare very well :o

Man of Honour
Decent quality liquid smoke is relatively well regarded these days.

Of the above I'd go for a ProQ or equivalent. It will suit long smokes more and gives you far more options with regards to where you smoke. I've always wanted a smoking gun too but mostly to mess around with for cocktails and very light smoking of chicken/etc.

Soldato
I use a ProQ smoke generator and use the inside of a 57cm weber bbq as a smoking cabinet. It works a treat. Fill the ProQ up with wood dust, light one end and away you go. It will produce smoke for anything up to 12 hours on one fill. I mostly smoke home cured bacon, the odd mature cheddar and sausages, although there is a ton of other stuff you can smoke!!

Soldato
OP
I use a ProQ smoke generator and use the inside of a 57cm weber bbq as a smoking cabinet. It works a treat. Fill the ProQ up with wood dust, light one end and away you go. It will produce smoke for anything up to 12 hours on one fill. I mostly smoke home cured bacon, the odd mature cheddar and sausages, although there is a ton of other stuff you can smoke!!
Yeah I defo want to try cheeses and other bits. I guess cold smoking steak isn’t really a “thing” and it’s more for brined and cured meats like bacon/sausages etc (where you can leave it for hours/days/weeks in a temp & humidity controlled environment). I might have to just experiment myself and see what I can come up with.

First stop: liquid smoke!

Associate
Be very careful with liquid smoke, a little goes a long way. Use too much and your food will be acrid and inedible.

For cold smoking I use the proq, for steaks you wouldn’t need long at all, maybe 30-60 mins. The smoking gun is just for finishing a dish and adding a hint of smoke, definitely not for proper cold smoking.

Soldato
OP
Tried a splash of liquid smoke on a rump steak tonight. Let it marinate in the fridge with some other herbs for about 6 hours. Didn't taste that strong, in fact I think I'd double the amount next time. I wonder if it loses potency with age, because I bought it about a year ago.... just never got round to using it lol

Back
Top Bottom