Colour Change - Pure Water only way left?

Associate
Good evening!!!

I have been having issues with my loop:

My blocks & radiators have come from my old loop (which had mayhems pastel red in it for ~ 3 years).

As part of the tear down, i used Blitz part one on the rads, and Blitz part 2 (24 hours) on the system.

I then put in Mayhems Pastel White into the system - pictures after filling (colour change from pure white IMMEDIATELY), and 1 week later:
20180729_105527.jpg

20180730_175225.jpg

So I contacted 'Mayhems' directly - and they advised me to run Blitz through again, and then i opted to put X1 in (in the hope that any colour change would be less obvious).

So - Blitz part 2 was run through again (24 hours) - NO colour change witnessed in the solution after the 24 hours.

I then filled with X1 - and again - near immediate colour change.
Pictures immediately after filling, and then 1 week later:
20180804_171316.jpg

20180811_201645.jpg

SO:

My only thought left in keeping a 'clear' fluid is to use Pure h2o... basing this on the cleaning solution not discolouring through the cleaning period.

However:

1) Am i OK to use a silver kill coil in my loop? (I have beeen advised i cant as my GPU block contains nickel (EVGA Hydro Copper?)

2) I cant use a biocide as it cant be used with PETG fluid.

So: How long can distilled water ONLY be used in the system? Are we talking days, weeks or months?

If there is any other solution please let me know, but any premade fluid seems to discolour immediately which is going to get expensive.

Cheers,
Craig

Associate
OP
Hiya Guys,

Cheers for your responses:

Regarding the radiator cleaning - I would have thought the blitz part 1 (radiator only) would have performed a better job than vinegar would have?

On the flushing front none of the 'water based' flush/ cleans have discoloured at all... I have had two water, DI water, and the blitz part 2, none of which have leaches any colour AT ALL.... it only seems to be coolant that instantly grabs the colouring....

The GFX is still under warranty so don't want to hear apart - all LOOKS clean inside (has cut outs)... the Raystorm I have presumed as clean, but could dismantle if that's potentially the problem.

If it's a suspicion that it's heat, would I be safe to use water ONLY? And if so how long for?

Unfortunately silver kill coil and biocide aren't an option due to loop incompatibilities.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, i have since been advised there is a biocide and corrosion inhibitor that will work in my system, so some of that will be used with Pure h2o...

I may well strip everything down and give a good clean again - i have spare pastel white and spare X1 clear, so i will try the single component suggestions and see where the problem is.

The raystorm i will strip down as a matter of interest and give a clean.

Will i be invalidating my warranty if i take the block apart on my card? (EVGA Hydro Copper 980ti)?

Back
Top Bottom