Combi boiler cutting out while running hot water

Soldato
Hi all

When I run a hot tap the combi boiler fires up and heats the water. However, as the pressure drops, the boiler switches off and stops heating the water. I'm left with just cold water coming from the hot tap. I can force the boiler to start heating the water again by turning the tap on some more, but at this point I'm pouring quite a considerable amount of water down the drain.

Does anyone know why my boiler might be shutting off heating the water despite the fact that it is still running?

I should note that the heating works fine and that the boiler has sufficient pressure in the heating system (1 bar).

Many thanks

M.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
When you say pressure are looking at system pressure - this will / should increase as the water heats up or when you close the hot tap to reduce the flow the boiler stops?

Associate
I would say your combi is a little old and is not a modulating type so the gas burner is either on or off with no 'throttle' if you will. If you are running the water slowly then its likely that the temprature of the water is exceeding what the boiler will allow and if it cannot modulate then the only thing it can do is shut off to protect the boiler from actually boiling and you lot from scalds from very hot water.

You should be able to find out if its modulating with the help of google quite easily or pop the model in here and I'm sure someone will help you find out.

Bit of a guess really.

Oh while I think of it there is a pressure switch in the boiler too on the cold water feed side so that if there is insufficient flow it will shut the boiler off for the above reasons.

More I think of it the more it sounds like a boiler design "feature"

Soldato
OP
I would say your combi is a little old and is not a modulating type so the gas burner is either on or off with no 'throttle' if you will. If you are running the water slowly then its likely that the temprature of the water is exceeding what the boiler will allow and if it cannot modulate then the only thing it can do is shut off to protect the boiler from actually boiling and you lot from scalds from very hot water.

You should be able to find out if its modulating with the help of google quite easily or pop the model in here and I'm sure someone will help you find out.

Bit of a guess really.

Oh while I think of it there is a pressure switch in the boiler too on the cold water feed side so that if there is insufficient flow it will shut the boiler off for the above reasons.

More I think of it the more it sounds like a boiler design "feature"

It's a Baxi Combi 105HE.

Soldato
Mine also does this.

Mine does this with the shower on.

If you then mix the water to get a nice temp the boiler will shut off, and to get it back you need to turn the bathroom or kitchen tap on hot untill it fires up.

Bloody annoying when you have soap all over your self and have to get out to get it back lol

Associate
Well it's a modulating boiler so my theory is out. However baxi's more than most combi's like blocking the plate heat exchanger.

Possibilities (all of which require a gas type)

Flow switch
Modulating fault/temp sensor (perhaps the dhw temp sensor has failed so it's tripping the overheat)
Partially blocked dhw plate exchanger (blocked boiler side)

Soldato
We had a very similar problem with our Ideal boiler.

We had British Gas out 5 times. I told the first guy I thought it was the plate heat exchanger was blocked. He scoffed at me, said it wouldn't be that and if it was it was a 3 hour job to replace it. Over the next few visits they replaced the diverter valve, thermostat and the pump to no avail.

They then gave up and called Ideal out for a joint visit. Ideal man turned up, cover off, ran the hot water and stuck his hand in to feel the plate. 10 seconds later he said the plate is blocked, I've got one in the van and he had the old one out and the new one ready to go in within 10 minutes of arriving at which point the BG man turned up and looked a bit sheepish. 10 minutes later it was in and working.

Soldato
Dunno if it gave you the run around, but your plumber did well to spot the venturi. Most people miss that, and go around the houses before getting to the venturi :)
We carry them on the van as stock, cheap and small, easy enough fix.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom