Combining old and new equipment for future proofing

Associate
Hey, just looking for a little advice on combining old and new equipment to future proof myself as best I can.
I've got two machines, one workstation that was very good for its time, and now a small form factor thats more modern but middle of the road. Starting to notice some slow downs with this in games so eventually want to upgrade the graphics card, hence trying to combine the best parts elsewhere.

The (too large) ATX machine that a built as a workstation with the following:
Sabertooth x79 mobo LGA 2011 + i7 4930k
2x12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2GB GTX 770
Corsair AX760w Platinum PSU

Then due to a change in circumstance I built a middle of the road itx with the follow:
650W EVGA Supernova G2 Gold PSU
2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz
Thermaltake Core V1
Gigabyte H170N-WiFi mobo - i3 6100 s1151
MSI GTX780 3GB

On paper the 4930k is superior, my concern with swapping is that firstly it was professionally overclocked, which I know nothing about and am worried about heat and power consumption etc.
I would also need to buy a new compact ATX case as the one its in is just too big - so this wouldn't help heat issues with being in a smaller case.

Obviously the i7 isn't compatible with the skylake board either and Its a few generations back now so motherboard is dated as is RAM compared to the skylake board.

My aim here is to eventually upgrade my GPU to a 1080/volta, and probably my CPU (Kaby/Coffee lake i5), just want to make sure I'm pairing with the best I can.
As far as I can see my options are pretty limited, either take the i7 + mobo and pop them in a new case (age issues, heat issues, how future proof etc).
Or I could forget the i7 completely and just move the PSU to a compact ATX and upgrade CPU/mobo and GPU at a later date (at least RAM would be compatible lol).

But then I don't know what to do with the leftover expensive equipment?
Hopefully someone has some insight, sorry for the long post!
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom