Comfortable Sports Tourer

Soldato
Hi all.
I currently have a '10 GSX650F, which i really like as it's a great middleweight all-rounder bike. However, it's uncomfortable for longer trips (75-100 miles becomes very uncomfortable).
It starts to hurt/ache the top and inside of my thighs/ lower inside of my bum. I have wondered why and since then i think I've pinned it down to my legs being too long, my knees are high up and creates an awkward riding position for longer journeys.

That said, i'm not sure what i can do to my bike to rectify this other than maybe tinkering with the pegs, gear shifter and brake? Which i don't think is wise.

So I'm open to suggestions for a new bike that's better for longer distances and preferably with a bit more grunt to cater for hills and some (not loads) of luggage. Budget would be around £3500-£4000 at a push.

Any ideas?

Soldato
FJR1300 if you like lots of electronic gizmos on an all-rounder.
FJ1200 if you like a cool, high-performance all-rounder, very easily maintained classic for very little money (ie less than a grand).
Honda Blackbird, if you like loads of performance.
VFR750 (not the 800) if you want slightly more Sports and don't mind a lot of mechanical fiddling.

Soldato
VFR? Or if you're after something smaller/lighter, F800ST? Same power as the gsx but with much more torque (60ft-lb vs 45ft-lb). Won't sound as nice as the gsx or VFR though, but it will do 60+ mpg

Soldato
OP
Interesting input, cheers guys.

F800ST --> I'm listening.. Looks good, nice torque, reliable, belt driven? (i know nothing of belts)

VFR --> Always liked VFRs would class this as a curve-ball/wildcard. 750s are generally ropey, they're old and 800s are expensive. Are they expensive the maintain? Would be more sporty though, will keep my eyes open.

FJR1300 --> Looks rather big, but powerful. Will keep an eye on this, certainly looks capable, but rather large and ugly. Looks like would have more fun on the F800ST.

FJR1200 --> Too old now, i don't want to run into much of any issues and would be worried on long distances. Would be hard to find one i could trust.

Bandit 1200 --> Will be the same as my bike apart from suspension and engine size. Will most likely be just an uncomfortable for me.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
VFR750 (not the 800) if you want slightly more Sports and don't mind a lot of mechanical fiddling.
Mechanical fiddling ? :confused: U Wot M8 ???

VFR --> Always liked VFRs would class this as a curve-ball/wildcard. 750s are generally ropey,.

:eek: How very dare you :p

XcYgIFSl.jpg

mExnHg2l.jpg

I'm 6ft 5 & can ride it all day, Had it 13 months & it passed it's MOT a few weeks back with No advisorys. MOT bloke said the bike is Perfect.
Voted Best All rounder 10 years in a Row.
Still shows 150+ :D

Last edited:
Don
Why not take a look at something like a Triumph Tiger 1050? Yes, it's an adventure-crossover type bike but they really do handle. I embarrassed quite a lot of much faster sports metal when I had mine. Very comfortable too and the Triumph luggage gives it plenty of load space.

The thing I found good with the Tiger - which actually made me a much faster rider - was that I could see everything. Being sat up high I was able to see over hedges, cars etc and set speeds accordingly.

Soldato
OP

:eek: How very dare you :p

I'm 6ft 5 & can ride it all day, Had it 13 months & it passed it's MOT a few weeks back with No advisorys. MOT bloke said the bike is Perfect.
Voted Best All rounder 10 years in a Row.
Still shows 150+ :D

Would love to find one in decent condition and mileage, but that's a hard task.

Sprint ST 1050. 120Bhp, should get an 05 or 06 for 4k.

Why not take a look at something like a Triumph Tiger 1050? Yes, it's an adventure-crossover type bike but they really do handle. I embarrassed quite a lot of much faster sports metal when I had mine. Very comfortable too and the Triumph luggage gives it plenty of load space.

The thing I found good with the Tiger - which actually made me a much faster rider - was that I could see everything. Being sat up high I was able to see over hedges, cars etc and set speeds accordingly.

Triumph ST and Tiger are both good shouts maybe. Can be expensive to buy and run, they hold their value very well. The Tiger is a bit sit-up and adventure. My next door neighbour has one for sale, but the engine is shot.

As for the ST.. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/b.../triumph/sprint-st-1050/2005/_/R-NXGN-3143950

Last edited:
Soldato
A number of general maintenance tasks are regarded as very fiddly on VFR750s, compared to most other bikes... so say the owners, anyway. The 800s are even worse, as half of it also requires plugging into a computer.

FJR1200 --> Too old now, i don't want to run into much of any issues and would be worried on long distances. Would be hard to find one i could trust.
Trust?
That'd be most of them, then. These things are absolute tanks!!
Age means nothing - 50k is barely broken in for these things. They'll go round the clock twice (some I know have gone thrice), are generally adored and treasured by their owners and still step up to the plate even today. Parts are still cheap and plentiful, maintenance is an absolute doddle, insurance is low.
You should easily manage 0-60 in under 3 seconds and still hit 160mph, even after a full day of riding, yet also be able to ride it as gently as you care to.
Obviously I have one myself, but ask any owner what they're like... or ask a former owner if they regret selling! :D

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
A number of general maintenance tasks are regarded as very fiddly on VFR750s, compared to most other bikes... so say the owners, anyway.

I am an Owner who maintains his own bike. The only thing that would be considered awkward would be changing the rear header pipes but how many owners do that ?
VFR750's regularly do 75k+ miles & some Dude on the VFR forums has his up to 250k doing 30k miles a year on it. Maintenance is minimal because they are so strong.
How hard or awkward do you think it is to work on the rear end when it has a single sided swinging arm ? Rear wheel comes off like a car :p

Like I said the only thing awkward is the rear header pipes.

Associate
F800ST. Had one for 3 years. Google 'piston slap'. I think 09 onwards, or black engine casings are safe. Newer engines seem to sound much nicer too.
If you BMW service it then expect some
.. expense. That belt is supposed to be changed at 24k if memory serves. 300 quid part. And I think that service is valve check too.

I sold mine at 24k hehe. I also apparently got piston slap. Mine was 57 plate.

I have a think what else I remember. At BMW right now seeing who pays for a new rear wheel bearing on a K1300S.
Update: it is. Hurrah.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am an Owner who maintains his own bike. The only thing that would be considered awkward would be changing the rear header pipes but how many owners do that ?
If it were me, I probably would... well, I have, just not on a VFR :D

From a VFR750 owner on our bike forum:
"It's mostly a pain coz everything is tucked behind your plastics. The front plugs are a common [censored], especially without Honda's 'special tool' that seems to never get included... but doesn't really help that much.
Valve clearances/cams are also awkward, as the front cylinders can be a [censored] to reach, so most garages won't do them properly, if at all.
They will fry the reg/rec regularly, but these are easy to replace with an Electrex one.
The collector box and downpipes are mild steel and rot beneath the engine, but are awkward to replace... and expensive!
The only reason I'd get a 750 over the 800 is if you already fell in love and like doing your own (cheaper) maintenance, or hate electrics
".

Soldato
Are you really quoting Someone elses words over my actual owner experience ? :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Aside from being an owner of two 750s and an 800 himself, he concisely summed up a load of 'common complaint' threads on the VFRs. My mechanic said pretty much the same things, but with more swearing! :D

VoG

VoG

Soldato
zzr would be decent,or a zrx1100?? they don't look very tall though

If your long in the leg the ZRX is uncomfortable, ive had both the ZRX11 & ZRX12 & they both suffer from poor ergonomics with regards the seating position & footpegs, so your knees are too bent & you tend to cramp up over distance, XJR13 is a helluva lot more comfortable by comparison, in fact its probably the most comfortable bike iver ever ridden bar none.

Back
Top Bottom