Coming back to PHP / mysql after years away - What to use to create and upload

Associate
Hey folks,

Pretty much as the title says - havent done any real mucking around in years and back then I used Win32pad and SmartFTP.

Whats the norm these days and has FTP been superceded by something else thats better for development and rapid changes to code?

R

Associate
I personally use PHPStorm with its built in FTP. Although I don't do much that much PHP development I do have a few sites that are running off Laravel backends which I did enjoy working in.

What sort of project are you going to be working on?

Associate
OP
Thanks folks, I was sure Id heard in some podcast that FTP had kinda been replaced with something else so edits were instantly on the server for testing, might have been a Github type thing or some kind of version controller... Should have paid more attention!

Its an online car voting system for a car show roccles

Soldato
Thanks folks, I was sure Id heard in some podcast that FTP had kinda been replaced with something else so edits were instantly on the server for testing, might have been a Github type thing or some kind of version controller... Should have paid more attention!

Its an online car voting system for a car show roccles

Might have been WebDav I know they were being heaviliy pushed as the next FTP but last time I used it was painful.

Maybe a webdisk? Just edit files live on your system as soon as they're saved it's pushed straight to server.

Associate
My workflow uses Git and Vagrant.

I have Vagrant running a vm on the local machine where I do my development. The web server in the vm accesses my local PC files and I can instantly see the effect of changes.

I use Git to sync the files to the remote servers as described in this Digital Ocean article.

Associate
Editor side of things, I use Atom (Built by the Github devs and open-source) and use a Package called "Remote-FTP" to allow me to make direct changes on my development site.

When pushing stuff to a live environment i always go through the stages of committing to git and merging to the live branch and then it auto syncs the files with my Hooks.

Back
Top Bottom