Comp Freezes When I Leave It

Associate
Late last week my comp would freeze when I left it on acquiring stuff. I wouild turn the monitor on and it would say Power Saving On. I also noticed the temp sensor on my Case was 10 degrees higher. Pressed buttons etc but nothing would happen. This carry on went on all weekend until yesterday when I re-installed windows (Thinking I may have a virus).

The comp was working fine until today when I installed another two 80mm fans with a total power of 0.64w, left the comp for an hour and the No swearing! please make sure you fully star words out! froze!

Unplugged a few fans and tried to backup a disk using dvd decrpyter, left it for a few minutes only to come back to a blank screen and the temp rising on the case.

I think it might be the psu, its 400w but I reckon with the things I have in the case now it can't handle it, I maybe wrong tho. Heres a list of all the things in the case.

400w Coloursit PSU
Pentium 3.6ghz HT Processor (
MSI GeForce 6200 TurboCache PCI-Express Graphics Card
Thermaltake Silent 775 Heat CPU-Cooler
1gb Crucial PC4000 BallistiX Tracer
2x512mb PC3200 Crucial
74gb Western Digital Raptor
200gb Western Digital Caviar
250gb Western Digital Caviar SE16
2x AKASA Crystal blue LED Fan 8cm, w/speed control
2x AKASA 4 Colour LED Fan 80mm
2x Ac Ryan Backfire 4 UV-Led Lighted Fan (Got these today)
1x Hard Drive Cooler (Has a couple of small fans)
Lite On DvD Writer

Is this a bit much for a 400w PSU?

The comp works fine when im on it doing things :huh: (Apart from the disk copying earlier)

Last edited:
It is almost 100% the PSU and read the FAQ! no swearing

I was a bit low on money... (don't start about good PSUs people;)) and bought a 480w colorsit, it just about runs a Pentium D 805 @ 3.1ghz, X800GTO, 2x256mb, 1x 120gb HD (not main computer)

Hi, well I use a Colorsit 500W PSU on my rig below and for the last year I have had no problems, and the voltages are around 11.84v under load and that is on the system in sig, with 2 hd, 2 optical drives, 2 fans and the usual. I have found the colorsit to be an nice PSU, and it is resonably quiet and powers my system without any problems whatsoever.

If the temps were up each time then I would look at would is causing that, as if the temps are climbing when not in use, though you didn't say if it was the CPU or the case/system temp it was displaying.

Also when you disconnected the fans then if the system was overloaded then it would have help reduce the freezing, I would say it is either overheating or you got a faulty hard drive that is causing you problems.

Run some prime to see if the temps get dangerously high and scan the drives with the manufactures diagnoistic software to rule out HD failiure.

Anthony

acharris said:

He has a CPU that uses about 130w, compared to yours at about 80, lots of fans, a raptor and 2x other HDs and it is running on a lower rated PSU.

Plus... remember I have one of these and I know first hand they arent very good when you actually start stressing them. (Dual core, x800gto)

Just fitted a 450w OCZ psu and the comp still conks out while backing up stuff. It also conked out while I tried to post this 5 minutes ago. I now only have the thermaltake heatsink & fan running, all other fans have been unplugged (not used to it being so quiet)

Could one of the fans be faulty and cause it to conk out?

Datamonkey said:
fan wouldnt cause it to conk out fella,

bit of an odd one to be honest.

The psu would have been my main suspect also.

does it just lock up, or do you get a bsod?

The monitor goes into power saving mode which won't go away and the temp rises on my case.

Took out my 250gb Western Digital Caviar SE16 and it looks like parts of it has melted, nothing too serious yet but you can tell it been running hotter than it should be. In another thread I mentioned it was sitting at 55 degrees, hence the reason for all the 80mm fans. Ive only had the drive 2 month. Seems to be quite a common problem with that particular drive.

I made up an mp3 disk there no problem, might try another dvd disk and see what happens.

This pile of **** is still freezing!

Twice today ive had 2 screen in blue with white writing saying I should remove and new hardware of software. Then just 5 minutes ago it went onto power saving again!

Is this a hard drive or mobo problem?

Back
Top Bottom