Compact camera, Sony rx100 iii alternatives?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've not bought a new camera for many years now and at present I rely on my phone for family snaps.

In the past I've had a Canon 20D and I just found I wasn't taking it with me as it became a bit of a faff. So with that in mind I'm looking at compact cameras that are more capable than my pixel 7 pro.

My search has brought up the Sony DSC RX100 iii but the price tag is putting me off a little, are there any good alternatives around the £350 mark?

Thanks.

Soldato
The compact camera market is now effectively dead, killed by mobile phones. The Sony RX ranges have always had premium prices and the older models drop in price as newer models are released. The RX100 III was released in 2014 and there are very few still available new. The current VA and VII are also out-of-stock just about everywhere but another batch may turn up before production ceases at the end of the year.

Soldato
If you can push for abit more, go for the Sony DSC-HX99. I got this last year, it's a great alternative compared to my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra camera.

Soldato
OP
Great thanks for the responses.

I've seen people mention that the best camera to have is the one you always have with you so it's no wonder with the advancements that mobile phones are taking over compacts place.

Soldato
I wonder how an iPhone 15 Pro compares to the RX100.

the little RX100`s were really advanced for their size, especially the MK 5 onwards.

they are much better photography tools than a phone in my opinion although in good light and close subjects you probably could not tell much difference in raw image quality.

Soldato
The test is to look at the images on a decent size/resolution screen - most results from phones collapse into a mushy mess but I've no idea how current iPhones fare.

Soldato
The compact camera market is now effectively dead, killed by mobile phones. The Sony RX ranges have always had premium prices and the older models drop in price as newer models are released. The RX100 III was released in 2014 and there are very few still available new. The current VA and VII are also out-of-stock just about everywhere but another batch may turn up before production ceases at the end of the year.

I have to say that's a pleasing username to subject knowledge ratio right there

Last edited:
Soldato
I did exactly the same progression, coming from an old Canon S90 I think. I mainly use it when I'm out climbing, so something small, that I can clip to my harness, with physical buttons that I can use with gloves and cold hands is perfect. I've got a bigger camera as well, but it's just more faff with lenses and isn't as convenient a lot of the time.

Soldato
I still have a Mk1 but it's been well outperformed by even mid-range phones these days. Went on some cool trips though so can't bring myself to get rid of it :p

Struggle to see how a compact makes sense given phone performance now. If I care about IQ, I take my A7, for everything else, phone is good enough. Although tbh my pixel 7 is better than my A7 Mk1 in many respects.

Soldato
RX100 prices now are just still.

If you don't need the EVF and dials the ZV1 is pretty much the same hardware as the RX100 IV, V, VA, for less than you can get those used.

Again with no EVF there's the Panasonic Lumix LX10 / LX15

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I went through the same thing, bought an RX100 VA to use over my phone. Didn't end up taking it out much, and sold it. A year or so later, bought a Canon EOS M6 Mark II as something to use over my phone. Don't use it much.

I kept thinking that if I had decent kit, I'd get back more into photography like I used to and it just hasn't happened yet. Part of the benefit of phones is the automatic image processing, they can take a poor image and really do wonders with it - and if these are just being shared on other phones, it's easier to share like that and any blemishes with the image get masked more than if you'd printed it.

I used to shoot in RAW on my Nikon DSLR, and then process everything in Lightroom - I just don't have the time to do that anymore, and it feels like when I have a go - my phone in full auto mode is doing a better job.

That aside, I'm about to buy a 55-200mm lens for the M6 :D

Back
Top Bottom