Completed Website

Associate
EDIT : I designed the website using an iframe and it was giving people problems so i redesigned it using PHP

Hi,

I have just completed my girlfriends art website and would like some constructive comments maybe from any web designers who are one these forums.

I used to design menus for DVD's and work a lot in after effects and photoshop so web design is not my forte. I might be looking to drift into this area of work and I have learnt a lot from this project. I probably have done some weird things in the programming of the site, which i will only learn to do better with practice and time.

the site is

kanemi.info

Thanks

Tim

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback its a big help.

The main problem is the content not loading for certain people would that be the iFrame issue? i will look into to it.

Eulogy - My reason for using an iframe is i thought it would be a tidy way of calling the wanted HTML page into the iframe space. So if i got rid of the iframe i would have to put the menu bar on every single page and load it eveytime i click to another location? or can I just use a div and get the html page to display in that? i will go off and research this area.

I agree as well that having a news section on the frontpage would be good, it was something i was thinking of while designing the site. i will consider trying to implement it in the future.

suarve - I agree about the message thing, will look into removing it. I see you point about the contact form, i could end up with having lots of spam email maybe. The menu problem of not being able to have the top level as a link is partly down to the tutourial i used, it appears that some other people were wanting to be able to have the top level clickable but it appears no one has come up with a solution (although i have found a slightly other way of doing it for maybe future websites to solve this problem)

malef!c - i will consider your advice about the flags. thanks

some of you have mentioned the flash on the frontpage, I actually used a tutorial that made it in javascript, so its javascript not flash. Now it could be a problem if people have javascript disabled...how common is that though.

once again thanks for the feedback it's very helpful.

Tim

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i did start tryng to do it with using javascript, but i think i will look into the includes stuff tomorrow.

ugatennis08 - do you mean the text on the left hand side or the signiture on the gfx? if the text on the left its just normal arial that i have used. what would you suggest?

Eulogy & Mammalian - thanks for the link. i will give it a bash and see how i go, will come back with questions if i run into trouble.

once again cheers all

Tim

Associate
OP
Hi,

Been trying to get my head round these includes all day searching for some tutourials found a few but what appears to seem quite straight forward turns into a bit taxing, as it starts saying stuf about changing my webpages to .PHP or .SHTML Mammalian do you have any examples or tutourials you could post so i could have a look at? ( i did find a page last night but didnt cant remember what site it was on)

Using PHP includes does look quite interesting, although i did find a method HERE using AJAX i did a test and got it working, but it was messing up my CSS which i would have to sort out just by following the tutourial better.

now what are the advantages of using the PHP method over the AJAX method? or is one better than the other in the long run?

bitterSTAR - I agree and it is probs something i will implement, cheers for the feed back.

thanks again all

Tim

Associate
OP
Back again,

just a question or two.

Mammalian - will i need to install xampp as i googled it and it seems to have some stuff that looked familier, the hosting i have has is running cPanel X is that the same kinda of thing.

i did manage to get the include command working although my CSS seems to get a bit messed up, but i will keep at it and try and get my head around it. I dont have anything i can show you at the moment tomorrow may bring something.

may be i am getting confused with the process of how this php works.

for example when i was using the iFrame, the menu was coded like this :

Code:
<ul>
<li>
<h2>Home</h2>
<ul>
<li>
<a target="iframespace" title="...did you get lost" href="/htm_files/eng/home.htm">Frontpage</a>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

For the PHP how do i target the html/php file to the Div tag i want it to display in?

i sort of half understand how it works from using the code you provided, will work on it more tomorrow.

thanks

Tim

Associate
OP
Ok, been working on the site today and i may of had an eureka moment where things just started to work and i think i sort of understand the process now.

I have built a test site HERE a couple of things first though. I know the menu overlaps, it's just a temp menu, and also when you click page 1 or 2 the BG image changes this is due to the CSS getting messed up.

Code:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2" />
<link href="/css/Kanemi.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<link href="/css/drop_down_menu.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>
<div id="container">

<div id="mainTXT">
<?
switch ($_GET['page']) 
{
case "main": include 'home_test.php'; break;
case "2": include 'about_art.php'; break;
case "3": include 'about_photography.php'; break;

default: include 'home_test.php'; break;

}
?>
</div>

<div id="menu">

<ul>
<li>
<h2>MENU</h2>
<li><a href="index.php?page=main">page1</a></li>
<li><a href="index.php?page=2">page2</a></li>
<li><a href="index.php?page=3">page3</a></li>
</li>
</ul>

</div>

</div>
</body>
</html>

so if i am correct becuase i have nearly 28 html/php pages in my site all i need to do is add them into the list in the "mainTXT" div and then link to them?

cheers

Tim

Associate
OP
if im reading you right, then yes :)

why isn't your background image displaying when viewing page=2 and 3? seems odd if you are doing what you have written above for it to be any different.

I think it inherits the CSS file that is in the other 2 pages so it changes the main page from what i can figure out, i will look more into tomorrow.

cheers

Tim

Associate
OP
Ok, I have just put up the new PHP version of the website now so hopefully people whould be able to view it correctly.

more comments are welcome, i have already made a list of some of some of the feedback and will start to implement them into the site.

Mammalian & Eulogy - Thanks for the showing me the php way of doing it.

and cheers to all the others so far who have left me some feedback.

now off to sort out the Japanese side of the site.

Tim

Last edited:
Associate
OP
quick look seems to be working. only thing i would quickly change is the home button, make it so that when the home is clicked it takes you to homepage and not display alink saying frontpage

eduit: also if you know what the font for the pictures is i would change all the font to that so it is all the same, that is of course if it is different, for me using firefox 3 it looks different any ways.

bit of a late thanks but thanks for guiding me on getting sorted in php. The font i use in the picture do you mean on the frontpage slideshow? as i am sure its Arial which i use on the other text on the site. A few others have mentioned the font not being too great, i might have a little play around with different fonts see what they look like. I will also maybe adresss some of the other stuff people have mentioned.

Thanks

Tim

Back
Top Bottom