Computer Boots, No Display...

Associate
Hey guys, I own an Overclockers.co.uk rig bought from your 'Complete Systems' section- and have been very satisfied with the computer. However, I've just experienced my 2nd general fault and I'm desparately looking for a fix as I'm stuck using an antique 'puter right now... cutting to the chase...

I woke my computer from 'Sleep' mode to discover that there was a continue beeping noise, which sounded a lot like continual short-blips of morse code going on inside my case. This was happening permanently, and the noise could be heard/noticed even whilst I was listening to music/gaming. As this wasn't normal, I quickly Googled my symptoms- and most suggestions were relevant to the RAM. So, simple task- remove RAM, reinsert into exact same DIMM slots as they were placed in (very kindly by the OC'ers staff some months ago), and reboot. Right? Nope...

The computer boots up, there is no single beep to show a 'safe' bootup, in fact there is no diagnostical beeps from my computer at all at boot-time. The fans all spin, the CD-drive/s open and close, and from inspection it appears as though my entire motherboard is working and being powered by my PSU. However, my monitor does not come out of 'Idle' mode, whereas normally of course booting up the computer would cause the monitor to spring into life. It is simply impossible to see what is on screen (or rather the lack of), and my fans - Artic Cooling w/ AMD Cool n Quiet - stay at a very high and constant rpm, not typical of a usual routine bootup.

Heard many possibilities about this- ranging from PSU problems, mobo problems, RAM problems, video-card problems... the lot. The monitor is NOT defective as I am currently using it right now on this system. The RAM (corsair dual-channel) was placed in the exact same A1/A2 slots that it came in, and I have taken out my PCI-E ATI card and reinserted it multiple times to make sure that everything is in full contact with the mobo. Still no difference. Since all I did was take out/reinsert the RAM- I'm finding this behaviour and strangeness all a bit *whoosh*, and I'm a wee bit frustrated and - happy to admit - utterly baffled, lost and confused. I have tried to boot with no RAM in the system, no change. I cannot try and boot without the graphics card as, well obviously I would have no display output then anyway! But, I did check to make sure that, in the abscence of the graphics card, that the boot-up standard system "BEEP" still didn't occur.

Any help is good help! Thanks very much in advance!

Associate
OP
Uhuh, so am I looking at great expenses here then? I don't even know what to replace as I don't know what is faulty =/.

All I know is I've arrived home today, plugged it in again and tried to switch it on, but now it doesn't even start up. Before the fans/cd-drive/electronics would power up, but there would be no signal to the monitor or no POST...

Now it doesn't even turn on, and there's a very distinct smell of burning...

Since I've made no changes/modifications/overclocking at all to my system, isn't a little unusual for a prebuilt system to die within several months of buying it? This system is under 5 months old!

Associate
OP
Will try resetting the CMOS using the jumpers since the battery doesn't physically come out without using a lot of force and disconnecting other parts of the mobo. Hesitant to make any physical changes to my rig as I don't actually know what has caused/is the problem here.

It has worked fine for months, now it doesn't display at all... little unusual?

Soldato
If there is a smell of burning, something is toast. Since this was a prebuilt system, I would just let OCUK deal with it, as it'll be far easier in the long run.
My probable guess would be the mobo as having gone, as you haven't fiddled with the CPU.

-Leezer-

Soldato
I should think it should have a 1yr warranty. If nothing else, leaving a webnote won't hurt.
Gibbo would probably be able to give you a more certain answer ;)

-Leezer-

Associate
OP
Alriight, thanks!

I've been very careful throughout this whole ordeal to act in the best interests of preserving my warranty- assuming the worst. Hopefully I won't get ripped or have to stump up any large financial fees in this ;).

Will consult a computer technician and then reassess my situation after! Thanks again for feedback.

Back
Top Bottom