Computer Crashing and Restarting while playing oblivion

Associate
my current specs: amd 3700 san deigo
geil value ram 1gb
x1800xt 256mb
asus a8-n sli premium

im playing oblivion at a pretty modest resolution 1280x1024, bloom on and no anti anylising

i start playing and its ok, bit laggy then after a while the sound kind of dispears as though im switching the power off my headphones, the whole thing gets really laggy and then the computer just restarts

ive checked the tempreture for the processor and its 34c under load and the motherboard is around 45

as for the gfx card i think under load thats doing about 60/70c which i think is ok?

any ideas, not sure if its anything to do with my sound card or not? using oboard sound!

anyhelp would be great

thanks

duncan

i tried running it at lower res and i still get the same problem!!!!

any ideas?

could it be something to do with the sound, cos i gradually totally lose audio when the game is under the most load

Tried the patch? There is a known memory leak on oblivion. The game also has serious issues with creative soundblaster cards and some minor ones with onboard ac97 audio.

The people who were programming oblivion really were in over their heads they had no idea how to optimize their code.

Last edited:
my sound goes crazy after i've been playing over a reasonalbe period of time

also would that leaking memory problem cuase some of the promlems ive been having?

I've had this problem only once and i still dont know what could have caused it, thanks for the info about the patch though didn't know one was out :D

Id back up your saves first just to be on the safe side, as the patch is Beta at the minute, not sure when the official one will be released, should'nt be to long though, or it could be out now, ive never checked. :p

duncsharp said:
my sound goes crazy after i've been playing over a reasonalbe period of time

also would that leaking memory problem cuase some of the promlems ive been having?

A memory leak gradually makes the game go slower and slower until the pc crashes or you exit the game.

yea i think thats is exactly what has been happening:

2 things happen:

the game runs slower and slower and starts getting bad at fps intensive sections - then the computer just restarts

the sound fades out, the game gets really laggy, then when the sound just goes the game plays ok again

any ideas about a fix?

should i try a reinstall?

Probably a good idea. And defragment your drive and check for spyware/adware/viruses etc. Disable any programs which might be causing problems like anti virus/firewall. Apply the patch. Update all your drivers. Maybe get an m-audio sound card, creative are better for games but oblivion has issues with soundblasters for some reason. You can always restart your game every so often so fix the issue.

What power supply are you using? That may not be supplying the correct voltage and causing instability and restarts. Disable "automatically restart upon system failure" to rule the psu out.

Last edited:
i'm using an Enermax Liberty 500w (that should be anough shouldnt it?)

also how do you enable that restart option?

im thinking that it could be tempreture isues - its not my cpu (under load only maxes at 35!)

my motherboard underload is getting near 45c under load - idle is about 34c

gfx card is brand new and idles around 50c and gets near 70c

if any of these are too high please let me know!!!!

Im going to try a format tomorrow and see if that does it!!
fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom