Computer Crashing

Associate
While im playing games my monitor will just go black. The PC will still be running and I ahve to switch it off and turn it on again and the monitor will be working, but it will still crash again if i play games. My specs are 1gb mix and match ram, ati 9800 pro and amd athalon 2400xp.

What sort of power supply unit do you have?

do you have the latest graphics card drivers?

do you know what sort of temperatures you're getting?

i don't know what it could be (it's not happened to me) but i think one of those things could be a factor.

you could try a stress test using prime95 or run 3dmark for a bit to see how it goes.

saintssuperstar said:
While im playing games my monitor will just go black. The PC will still be running and I ahve to switch it off and turn it on again and the monitor will be working, but it will still crash again if i play games. My specs are 1gb mix and match ram, ati 9800 pro and amd athalon 2400xp.

Have you check it the setting does match your monitor optimum resolution or refresh rate?

thinking about it, could be a ram issue. what exactly do you mean by "mix and match" (it's not a brand i haven't heard of is it? :confused: )

He means different brands. It sounds like your 3d card. 9800 pro's and cards of that age are startig to pop now - my friends are all complaining about it.

It's definitely worth checking out the temps on the graphics and on the processor - XPs have a habit of running quite 'warm'. My XP 2000 was running at ~80C loaded before I replaced the heatsink.

You can test the RAM with memtest86 or a windows stressing program - e.g. Prime95 or SuperPi. Sounds like graphics to me though tbh. Take it out and make sure everything is clean and that its making proper connections.

@ Captain Kirk - see THIS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom