Computer died :(

Associate
How annoying, I buy a new GFX card for my exsisting system (which is AGP), the ATI X1950, I get home to set the system up to download games from Steam while I wait for the card to turn up. However I switch the machine on all I got was a few beeps and then nothing! :( :( After much playing It looks like the mobo is dead. I was looking for a good mobo for a 3.2GHz P4HT but they are few and far between so brought a new CPU, mobo and memory to go with it!

Intention to spend £150 for GFX, end up spending £400 for AMD X2 4200+, 1GB Ram, Mobo and the GFX card.

The annoying thing is that had I known that the machine was going to die, I would have updated to PCI-E rather then finding an AGP mobo for the AM2 socket. And because I had already ordered the GFX card (from overclockers) I have payed twice for P&P :rolleyes: :) Oh well :D Looking forward to the new machine tho, dual core.. mmmmmm :lol:

Associate
OP
Went for the X2 mainly due to cost. I really can't afford to upgrade my PC the way I am having too so I needed the lowest cost/highest performance. I know the Core2Duo is a faster processor, but the AMD's have always been better value for money (in my opinion ;)).

Associate
OP
Like i say the main reason was cost, I don't have the funds for the creme du la creme. Looking on OC shop, going for the cheapest Mobo's, the AMD is £130 for the 4200 (2.2 clock) and the Intel is £210 (2.13 clock). Yes the intel is the faster chip, but is also almost £80 more. And as I hadn't planned on upgrading I haven't got the larger funds available for the best :)

Also I am not a fan of Intel anyway, I used to work for a well known computer store and the AMD crew were always more friendly then the Intel crew. Actually in nearly 5 years I only ever saw 1 intel rep, but lost count of the AMD reps visits! (and they gave me pens and tee-shirts :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom