Computer posting but windows not starting..please help

Associate
Hi there, really hoping somebody can help me with this problem. As I don't know what the problem is specifically, I thought best to place in the general forum. My rig is in my signature - I am using Windows XP with all latest updates.

Over the last week I have been getting a few BSODs (With the IRQ not less than equal message) about once a day, and random crashes and shutdowns in Firefox, and a few other desktop apps. Then one morning when I turn on PC it boots fine, but then hangs before windows can start up.

I had a small overclock on the CPU so I reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS. Still the same problem, computer boots ok, sees the RAM, hard drives ok. I get to the screen which says how to load windows ie safe mode, last good config, normally etc. If I try run safe mode, it starts to load the drivers and then hangs about half-way through always at same spot, if I try last known config then I get the white loading bar but hangs before Windows splash screen, if I try normally just a black screen.

Things I have tried so far:
1) I put in some different memory that I borrowed from IT department at work - no change
2) I tried using the Windows CD to perform a repair. Setup boots, loads all the drivers and then when it goes to start Windows it just hangs. I have tried this using my 250gb disk which had windows OS on it. I have also disconnected it and just had my 320gb "documents" disk plugged in - still hangs at windows starting. I would expect that I should be able to install XP on this disk as a new install.

I am going to try and solve this methodically - I am hoping nothing is dead bt have a sad feeling something is terminal. I have downloaded the Ultimate book disk to help with my diagnosing but not exactly sure what I should be looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Associate
OP
Quick update.

Have used MEMTest 86+ and both sticks of RAM go through two passes with no problems.

Have also used short tests to check hard drives (using Seagate and WD tools on Ultimate Boot CD) and both pass.

I have also done CPU stress tests (Mprime and another I can't remember) and was fine and stable for as long as I did the test (30 mins).

I also can boot Knoppix Linux and verify that I can access files on my hard drives.

Any suggestions out there as to what I can do please? Would this be better in the Windows software forum?

Associate
OP
Last update

Changed my BIOS settings to optimised default - previously I had reset with CMOS battery removal I was able to load to Windows in Safe mode after it got past a stall where it was looking for a driver. Proceeded to boot into windows then reinstalled my webcam (as it had identified as new hardware) though I have had it installed for years. Now windows boots as normal.

So sorry for wasting your time, I don't know how to close or delete a thread. At least I have got familiar with the greatness of Knoppix linux and have got more intimate with the workings of my computer ... maybe intimate not a great word :)

Back
Top Bottom