Computer restarts without warning?

Soldato
Hi,

a lot latly my computer keeps restarting for some unkown reason. It could be me just surfing the net to listern to music.
Ive scanned for viruses, hackers, adaware and spyware and nothing on my computer. I've defraged my HDD.
Any ideas how I can sort this problem out?

when I get back into windows I get a message saying " windows has recovered from critical errors" something like that.

I havnt replaced any hardware on my pc for a while. Just starting to happen.

cheers

Associate
have you got some different memory you could try for a while, or perhaps just run one stick at a time if you have two in there.

Could also be a corrupt file on your windows install, is reinstalling windows possible if anything else you try fails?

Soldato
More than likely the PSU. Either it's dicky or isn't quite powerful enough - have you added any new hardware recently?

Another possibility is spikes/dips in the electrical mains. Do you have a surge protector?

Soldato
OP
PSU is 460 Enermax PSU,
Havn't added anything for a while, and its only been the last month its happening.
Ive got a UPS with surgeprotector with PC plugged into it

Associate
Zephyrus said:
I'm assuming that in some strange corner of your mind you found that amusing...

I'm guessing he didnt mean for that to be funny, thats the forums profanity filter being set on the "Overly Paranoid" setting since it filters "u-r" slang for your, im guessing the 3 letter one was "w-a-t". The admins must have something against internet speak.

Soldato
Try running with minimum devices installed, then also disable things like usb controller in your bios and running :)

Past setups have been unstable due to usb etc.

updated your bios?

Associate
I assume your running Windows XP. If so, right click on my computer -> properties -> Advanced

Under the 'Startup and Recovery' click settings. Make sure that the option under 'System Failure' that reads 'Automatically Restart' is DE-TICKED.

When Windows next crashes, it'll give you a nice looking BSOD :p Note the error and google it. That should give you a good idea of what the problem is.

If Windows restarts without displaying the BSOD it's a different error that Windows doesn't have time to intervene with.

Soldato
OP
NightmareXX said:
I assume your running Windows XP. If so, right click on my computer -> properties -> Advanced

Under the 'Startup and Recovery' click settings. Make sure that the option under 'System Failure' that reads 'Automatically Restart' is DE-TICKED.

When Windows next crashes, it'll give you a nice looking BSOD :p Note the error and google it. That should give you a good idea of what the problem is.

If Windows restarts without displaying the BSOD it's a different error that Windows doesn't have time to intervene with.

Ok I will do that, yeah just unchecked it so gonna see what BSOD gonna come up.

can I ask what BSOD means? I know what it is it the blue screen of death but have always wondered what it stands for.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom