Computer Science Degree - Worth it?

Associate
Right, firstly before everyone says how I 'should do what I am interested in', I am interested in and have been interested in computers for some while now (obviously, or I wouldn't be here!). Mainly web design and development however. I briefly looked into these as a degree choice however after a few people telling me that this is not a good career to go into due to the high competition and low pay I have decided to choose otherwise.

I am wondering if anyone here could advise me on whether computer science is a good degree or not to take if I'm mainly looking for something that will open many doors (don't want something too specific that will really limit my career path). Also, anyone that has done a computer science degree, what sort of job have you now got as a result? Sorry for all the questions but i'm just trying to find out at this stage whether or not I should maybe change my plans and study something else broadly related to computers. :p

I always told myself that I didn't want to sit at a desk all day, that I want to be active and obviously.. earn good money however I can't see this being the case in computing! :D

Anyway.. Due to me not having a maths A level, I am quite restricted to the universities that I can attend and at the moment I am looking at Nottingham, East Anglia, Hull, Leicester and Coventry - has anyone attended these universities either to do a different course or to do something computing based and were they a good choice? I am looking for a university preferably that is quite modern (obviously don't want to be using old old tech!) however I know that being picky about the tech isn't a good starting point when choosing a uni :D

So yeah.. in a nutshell, I am wondering if anyone can recommend any good courses/universities and let me know their views on both a CS course in general and post university career prospects.

EDIT: I have been told that database management and such is a good job with good pay however is quite boring! Anyone know anything about this? lol Infact, my computing tutor advised this!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom