Computer Science or Physics Degree

Neb

Neb

Associate
Which one of these have the better job prospects? I originally thought computer science but I hear its hard to get a job in the industry. Physics I think would also be hard to get a job with but I'm not sure.

At Sheffield University btw.

Permabanned
Do what you would enjoy more, they are very different. Dont worry about job prospects too much, as they are about the same.

Associate
Nozzer said:
Physics. Serious brown nosing in your final year, get on graduate programme in the city, profit.

physics is more interesting and employable imo (but then again after a while i found it so dull). TBH you should do the one which you find the most interesting.

Associate
Do what you enjoy there is nothing worse than doing 3-4 years of a course you hate.

I'd say physics would have the better prospects. Even if you went into teaching physics would get you the golden hello payment and you'd stand a good chance of getting to be a head of physics very quickly.

Soldato
Sheffield is a good University - a degree in either subject will land you a good job.

As said above, if you don't need to do either (I.e. it being a pre-requisite to a job after Uni), then go for the one you think you will enjoy the most.

Spend some time looking at the syllabuses of both courses and work out which one seems better for you.

Caporegime
If you want to do a Physics degree, don't worry about job prospects. I work for a large IT company and we just luurve Physics grads, moreso than Comp Sci degrees (which I have :( ).

Associate
scorza said:
If you want to do a Physics degree, don't worry about job prospects. I work for a large IT company and we just luurve Physics grads, moreso than Comp Sci degrees (which I have :( ).

Then give me a job! No one has ever mentioned my degree in physics in interviews!

Permabanned
scorza said:

I'd echo that. The problem with Comp Sci, as I see it, is that it regiments a way of think that can often be a hinderence in a field as fast moving as IT. Having analytical thought processes and problem solving ability, on the other hand, will ALWAYS be in demand.

Plus there's nothing more guaranteed to get a lady into bed than a quick chat about time dilation - you'll be in sex heaven while lesser men are mincing around doing High-5s.....

Neb

Neb

Associate
OP
You have all persuaded me to go for physics, the only problem is persuading sheffield to let me change the course, im down to do computer science at the moment for september start. Hopefully the course isn't too over populated.

Soldato
Electronics?

Otherwise do whatever you are going to enjoy most ;)

Or do sociology get very drunk do 4 hours lectures a week and drop out after your second year like me.... or maybe not.

Soldato
Visage said:
Plus there's nothing more guaranteed to get a lady into bed than a quick chat about time dilation - you'll be in sex heaven while lesser men are mincing around doing High-5s.....
Lol, I'm doing a comp sci degree but maybe my wikipedia physics eduction might come in handy after all :D

(Although can't say I know many girls that would be remotely interested)

Soldato
I made this choice a few years ago and went with physics. I think the employment prospects are probably better but the degree is certainly a hell of a lot harder. I know quite a few people doing compsci and it seems like a total doss in comparison.

Associate
PhilthyPhil said:
I made this choice a few years ago and went with physics. I think the employment prospects are probably better but the degree is certainly a hell of a lot harder. I know quite a few people doing compsci and it seems like a total doss in comparison.

Agreed. Physics was stupidly hard.

Soldato
I started off doing pure Physics, but switched to half physics, half philosophy ('Natural Science' ;)) after my first year.
Dont be fooled, Physics degrees are among the hardest you can do. That means you'll be doing a lot more work than most people at uni to get the same grades. On the other hand, yes it is very handy getting a job afterwards. (I hope it is, anyway ;))

At the end of the day, do what you enjoy best!

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but what are people's opinions on doing a physics and maths joint honours as opposed to just one or the other? I'm torn between Physics, Maths and Computer Science, but reading this thread has eliminated CS from my list of options (although I was leaning towards Physics in the first place) :p

I'm still left with Physics and Maths though :(

Back
Top Bottom