Computer stuttering, can't find the problem.

Associate
Recently upgraded my computer, new motherboard, CPU, RAM.

Setup:
CPU(new): Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard(new): MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI
RAM(new): Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000Mhz CL30
Case(old): HAF X
GPU(old): NVIDIA GeForce Aorus 1080Ti
Cooler(old): Noctua NH-D15 with offset bracket for AM5
PSU(old): Corsair RM750
SSD(new-ish but came from old setup): Samsung 990 PRO NVMe M.2 2TB
Operating system: Windows 11 (previously used Windows 10)
Monitors: 144hz BenQ XL2430T, 60hz BenQ GL2450H

Installed new components and everything posts/starts up fine (a bit slow but I think normal for AM5). After starting it up, about 20-30sec from logging on, my pc stutters/lags (barely useable but I'm posting here on it atm). It's noticeable just moving a browser/file explorer window around that it's choppy, watching a stream/youtube/video file the audio is laggy and the visuals are also choppy. Sometimes the problem just goes away after 20-30minutes, and I can use my PC fine and play games for 10-12hours straight no issues. Sometimes it doesn't. If I restart my pc or turn it off and on, the same situation happens and the stuttering comes back. I tried putting it to sleep and resuming once and the problem didn't come back.

I don't know what's wrong, or where the problem is coming from. I've had suggestions such as it being windows/drivers/power plans. I've re-installed Windows 11 again, reinstalled the latest chipset, used DDU and reinstalled latest GPU drivers, set windows power plans to maximum performance, unplugged unnecessary USB devices, tried with X.M.P. on+off. Nothing fixed it. I sent an etl performance file to one guy who said he thought it was my GPU, and whether I'm using a pci-e riser (I'm not), but that's the closest I've been to anyone locating the source of the problem. I've have latencymonitor and windows performance recorder/windows performance analyzer installed but I have no idea how to use analyzer to identify problems. Happy to message the etl file if someone thinks they can identify a problem. System interrupts are taking 5-12% of my CPU, CPU0 has very high usage (around 90%) and CPU1 is getting worked a lot too (~50%). Even so, my overall CPU is only 15% usage on idle.

I don't even know if it's faulty hardware or software at this point, or why my computer would sometimes decide to 'work normally' after 30mins of the stuttering where I can play games etc. fine and get high FPS (wouldn't this rule out hardware being an issue?). I've been switching on my pc every day, going afk for 30mins and praying I come back to my pc deciding to work so I can use it for the rest of the day. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (today it hasn't yet). Instinctively, it feels like something (perhaps my GPU?) is having some weird handshaking issue with my system that it struggles to resolve, causing a huge backlog of system interrupts that sometimes gets resolved/clears and everything can work fine (complete guesswork), and other times it doesn't.

Latencymon main report: https://i.imgur.com/flgWoMl.png
Latencymon drivers tab: https://i.imgur.com/H3PvC8Q.png
Latencymon CPU tab: https://i.imgur.com/xbJ3SNk.png

Soldato
try just connecting your primary 144hz screen and see if the problems above go away., if not connect the 60hz diisplay only, it could be a whole host of problems but multi moniter setups are the easiset to check to begin with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Things to try.

1) Check that write caching is enabled on the Samsung 990. If write caching flushing is enable, try the system without.

2) Check your page file is set to system managed.

3) Install latest motherboard BIOS and AMD chipset / lan / audio drivers from MSI motherboard page. If that's no joy, then consider trying generic chipset drivers from AMD's website.

4) Install Samsung Magician software, check for latest firmware and drivers. Use the Samsung Magician software to run a diagnostic on the 990 Pro.

Associate
OP
I've tried the above, and even did a fresh install to windows 10 instead of windows 11 - I haven't activated it. I'm at my wits end trying to diagnose the problem, it makes no sense to me.

I tried an old card, 760ti, same problem, which makes me think it can't be the GPU.

I unplugged all extra drives, and checked my samsung 990 pro with the magician software which says it's perfectly healthy. I've tried one monitor, hdmi, dpi - no change.

Why on earth would my pc, 30 seconds after startup, start crapping out.

I have a few more days to try and fix it before I think I have to send back my cpu/motherboard/ram for a full refund because I almost feel like it has to be one of the new parts that is faulty. My old rig works fine. The only thing making me think it couldn't be a new part is that after a random amount of time of being switched on, my new rig runs fine again (smooth amazing gaming) until I switch it off.

If there's any experts that can point to anything please please help I'm so upset over this.

Soldato
15% CPU usage at idle is way too high, max it should be is around 5%, even then it should back down to around 2-3%, do you have lots of programs running at startup and have you tried disabling everything to see if the lag problem goes away?

Soldato
I'd be inclined to think the problem is one of the new components. Probably the CPU.

I've experienced these symptoms before but it was a laptop with a low power cpu. Task manager would show some windows processes doing scans or updates, and it would just take forever before the system was usable because the cpu was garbage and not able to get through these system tasks quickly.

Associate
OP
I have steam, nvidia tray, corsair+synapse for my keyboard/mouse but that's about it. I can disable them but I think the problem was present before installing the software. A friend suggested I try booting without any internet connection/disabling fast startup in bios (I had it disabled in windows) and also disabling windows defender - I'm going to try these suggestions tomorrow because my pc has started to run fine for now so I'll use it until I go to sleep. I'm really starting to think I received a crappy part somehow (because as I said to him, why would I have to do obscure things like this to attempt to fix it on a very empty system - surely tens of thousands of other people have similar parts etc. and aren't reporting a similar problem without a very obvious fix such as ram in the wrong slot etc.).

Associate
OP
15% CPU usage at idle is way too high, max it should be is around 5%, even then it should back down to around 2-3%, do you have lots of programs running at startup and have you tried disabling everything to see if the lag problem goes away?
Yea, when it's running normally all the cpu core graphs are very low, 3-5% overall cpu usage but when its stuttering cpu0 is at 95-100% and some other cores are really high too for no reason.

Soldato
I have steam, nvidia tray, corsair+synapse for my keyboard/mouse but that's about it. I can disable them but I think the problem was present before installing the software. A friend suggested I try booting without any internet connection/disabling fast startup in bios (I had it disabled in windows) and also disabling windows defender - I'm going to try these suggestions tomorrow because my pc has started to run fine for now so I'll use it until I go to sleep. I'm really starting to think I received a crappy part somehow (because as I said to him, why would I have to do obscure things like this to attempt to fix it on a very empty system - surely tens of thousands of other people have similar parts etc. and aren't reporting a similar problem without a very obvious fix such as ram in the wrong slot etc.).

Some older versions of corsair software are real resourse hogs, i would check you are on a up to date version just in case that is the problem.

I have a similar problem from time to time on my full amd system, around 5-10 seconds after i get into windows my mouse is super laggy and steam and discord visually struggle when loading up, other times when i boot its totally fine, when i update my gpu drivers the issues go away but after a couple of months go by the same thing starts to happen. Quite odd sometimes.

I know if ram on am5 isnt absolutely correct when overclocking or even when setting expo sometimes, lag issues are very easy to see, to the point windows will lockup with erros, stuck screen and bsod's.

Have you tried your setup with your ram at default speeds ie 4800mhz and see if its the same?, ram should be in slot 2 and 4 for optimal performance, if you look right from the cpu socket leave channel 1 and 3 empty.

Soldato
corsair+synapse for my keyboard/mouse

I have you tried with another keyboard and mouse, and removed the dongle / bluetooth presuming the corsair + synapse is wireless.

Also run Event Viewer from Windows start. Look in both the Application and Sytem logs and see what errors and warnings are logged.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently upgraded my computer, new motherboard, CPU, RAM.

Setup:
CPU(new): Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard(new): MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI
RAM(new): Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000Mhz CL30
Case(old): HAF X
GPU(old): NVIDIA GeForce Aorus 1080Ti
Cooler(old): Noctua NH-D15 with offset bracket for AM5
PSU(old): Corsair RM750
SSD(new-ish but came from old setup): Samsung 990 PRO NVMe M.2 2TB
Operating system: Windows 11 (previously used Windows 10)
Monitors: 144hz BenQ XL2430T, 60hz BenQ GL2450H

Installed new components and everything posts/starts up fine (a bit slow but I think normal for AM5). After starting it up, about 20-30sec from logging on, my pc stutters/lags (barely useable but I'm posting here on it atm). It's noticeable just moving a browser/file explorer window around that it's choppy, watching a stream/youtube/video file the audio is laggy and the visuals are also choppy. Sometimes the problem just goes away after 20-30minutes, and I can use my PC fine and play games for 10-12hours straight no issues. Sometimes it doesn't. If I restart my pc or turn it off and on, the same situation happens and the stuttering comes back. I tried putting it to sleep and resuming once and the problem didn't come back.

I don't know what's wrong, or where the problem is coming from. I've had suggestions such as it being windows/drivers/power plans. I've re-installed Windows 11 again, reinstalled the latest chipset, used DDU and reinstalled latest GPU drivers, set windows power plans to maximum performance, unplugged unnecessary USB devices, tried with X.M.P. on+off. Nothing fixed it. I sent an etl performance file to one guy who said he thought it was my GPU, and whether I'm using a pci-e riser (I'm not), but that's the closest I've been to anyone locating the source of the problem. I've have latencymonitor and windows performance recorder/windows performance analyzer installed but I have no idea how to use analyzer to identify problems. Happy to message the etl file if someone thinks they can identify a problem. System interrupts are taking 5-12% of my CPU, CPU0 has very high usage (around 90%) and CPU1 is getting worked a lot too (~50%). Even so, my overall CPU is only 15% usage on idle.

I don't even know if it's faulty hardware or software at this point, or why my computer would sometimes decide to 'work normally' after 30mins of the stuttering where I can play games etc. fine and get high FPS (wouldn't this rule out hardware being an issue?). I've been switching on my pc every day, going afk for 30mins and praying I come back to my pc deciding to work so I can use it for the rest of the day. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (today it hasn't yet). Instinctively, it feels like something (perhaps my GPU?) is having some weird handshaking issue with my system that it struggles to resolve, causing a huge backlog of system interrupts that sometimes gets resolved/clears and everything can work fine (complete guesswork), and other times it doesn't.

Latencymon main report: https://i.imgur.com/flgWoMl.png
Latencymon drivers tab: https://i.imgur.com/H3PvC8Q.png
Latencymon CPU tab: https://i.imgur.com/xbJ3SNk.png
Maybe see if your refresh rate matches your monitor/TV. 60hz looks awful now I've got used to 120hz. Took me a lot of faffing about before I found the right settings for me.

Man of Honour
Do you have Gigabyte Control Centre installed?

You might need to use Process Explorer to see what is going on in the background and/or what calls the System process is getting bogged down in.

I've found Windows 10 especially, but to an extent 11 as well can get its knickers in a twist with some background maintenance tasks, some systems more susceptible to it than others for no apparent rhyme or reason.

Associate
OP
Do you have Gigabyte Control Centre installed?

You might need to use Process Explorer to see what is going on in the background and/or what calls the System process is getting bogged down in.

I've found Windows 10 especially, but to an extent 11 as well can get its knickers in a twist with some background maintenance tasks, some systems more susceptible to it than others for no apparent rhyme or reason.

I don't have Gigabyte centre installed, no gigabyte components. I've downloaded process explorer but I'm not sure what to look for. I had a quick google and right clicked system->properties->threads which showed this. https://i.imgur.com/JEg7tSB.png

Some older versions of corsair software are real resourse hogs, i would check you are on a up to date version just in case that is the problem.

I have a similar problem from time to time on my full amd system, around 5-10 seconds after i get into windows my mouse is super laggy and steam and discord visually struggle when loading up, other times when i boot its totally fine, when i update my gpu drivers the issues go away but after a couple of months go by the same thing starts to happen. Quite odd sometimes.

I know if ram on am5 isnt absolutely correct when overclocking or even when setting expo sometimes, lag issues are very easy to see, to the point windows will lockup with erros, stuck screen and bsod's.

Have you tried your setup with your ram at default speeds ie 4800mhz and see if its the same?, ram should be in slot 2 and 4 for optimal performance, if you look right from the cpu socket leave channel 1 and 3 empty.
Yeah, I've got the latest firmware/software updates for corsair/razer but they aren't taking up a load of resources on their own. I think it's something causing a load of system interrupts. re: the ram, I've tried both default and XMP enabled and encountered the same stuttering, and they're in slots 2 and 4 with 1 and 3 empty. Whenever I consider hardware being the issue I feel like it can't be inherently broken because my system when it stops stuttering simply works just fine. It's like a traffic jam on system startup where there's a red light and everything stutters constantly, and sometimes a green light just flips on and everything starts working, and sometimes it doesn't.

I have you tried with another keyboard and mouse, and removed the dongle / bluetooth presuming the corsair + synapse is wireless.

Also run Event Viewer from Windows start. Look in both the Application and Sytem logs and see what errors and warnings are logged.
I'll try and find another keyboard/mouse to plug in.

I opened event viewer and looked at the app/system logs.

In windows logs - application there's some errors for windows not being activated (because I haven't I guess)
"License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code:hr=0x80072EE7" which seem to re-check/repeat somewhat frequently.

In the system section there's two errors: "The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used. For further help, please contact the computer manufacturer." and "The server Windows.Gaming.GameBar.PresenceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.". There's a fair few warnings which seem to be some COM server database things "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't have Gigabyte centre installed, no gigabyte components. I've downloaded process explorer but I'm not sure what to look for. I had a quick google and right clicked system->properties->threads which showed this. https://i.imgur.com/JEg7tSB.png

Unless I read your post wrong you mentioned the GPU was an NVIDIA GeForce Aorus 1080Ti which is a Gigabyte product - though there isn't much reason to install the GCC with a GPU unlike motherboard or laptop.

Man of Honour

I would try this - i had very similar issues with unstable ram - Drove me mad as it was so inconsistant as to when it happened. ( Memory had passed all the usual stress and stability tests )

Set your ram very loose , 4800mhz or whatever the non expo/xmp setting is and try that - but it could be the case that memeory errors have already 'corrupted' your current install.

Best test is 4800/5200 default timing etc on a fresh install

Last edited:
Soldato
In the system section there's two errors: "The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used. For further help, please contact the computer manufacturer." and "The server Windows.Gaming.GameBar.PresenceServer.Internal.PresenceWriter did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.". There's a fair few warnings which seem to be some COM server database things "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID".
error sounds xbox game bar related, if you aren't using that turn it off

Soldato
Re the event log. Its possible it's TPM service polling the motherboard and causing the stuttering. Can you check TPM is enabled in the bios? Also are you certain your motherboard is on latest bios version.

Permabanned
I had a chopping audio problem, it was as if the audio would pulse ever 30 seconds, I had to remove the audio drivers and manually install the most upto date. Windows would install old drivers.

Back
Top Bottom