• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Computer won't start CPU fan sky high help needed

Associate
So basically my computer won't start anymore and after about 5 secs of it being turned on my Titan ferir fan kicks up and starting up really fast. So my guess is the thermal paste needs replacing. I was wondering if it's worth getting a different cpu fan as the Titan ferir is huge and I'm thinking of adding some more ram and the Titan goes over one of the sockets. I have overclocked the cpu but considering going back to stock now. Any help would be great

Associate
i have experienced the same before but mostly in laptops. After a while the thermal paste would just dry up and become brittle. However, make sure you reset it and test it before going thru the hassle. if money was no object then upgrade a cheap AIO water cooler

Associate
OP
I pulled the Heatshink fan off as I thought it was the thermal paste. So I'm now awaiting my new paste to arrive. how could it not be the heat sink the fan fired up super high when I started the computer? Also I think the odd time the msi Bois screen came up how do I go about resetting the bios?

Soldato
I pulled the Heatshink fan off as I thought it was the thermal paste. So I'm now awaiting my new paste to arrive. how could it not be the heat sink the fan fired up super high when I started the computer? Also I think the odd time the msi Bois screen came up how do I go about resetting the bios?

There is a jumper JBAT1 near to the battery on the motherboard. Remove jumper from pins 1-2 and put on pins 2-3 while the computer is OFF. Replace on pins 1-2 and reboot. Go into the bios by pressing F1 (if requested) or 'delete' DEL as it is booting. Make any changes you need ie boot drive, fans profile etc.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The fans starting up high and your computer not booting normally has nothing to do with your thermal paste. When many motherboards are turned on for the first time all the fans connected will start up at full speed, often including the ones on the GPU but then after the bios process starts they will quiet back down to the 'normal' settings in the bios.

There is an issue with another of your components stopping the bios from completing its 'everything ok' checks, hence your fans are staying high. Your issue could possibly be CPU/Memory/GPU related and unless your motherboard has a bios code display or at least audible tones then it can be a long process to find out which one.

First thing, as has been suggested is to clear the CMOS and reset the bios.

Associate
OP
Ok so update I reinstalled the heatsink and the problem remains I was getting 25 degrees in the bios. I then ran single channel ram and the problem remained I have now disconnected the gpu and the fan isn't now firing up so it looks like the gpu has had it? I haven't got another gpu to use so now I have a computer without a picture

Back
Top Bottom