Computers... cheaper in the UK or Australia?

UK, I can remember seeing some scary prices for new stuff if Aus, remember that even though Aus is in the APAC region where lots of this stuff is made its a very small market.

HEADRAT

I could have sworn i stumbled on to an aussie overclockers site, might want to check that out.

Yep, quick google search confirmed that. But its not good like this one, its more like the crappy one over here in America where they do not stuff and have ads like crazy. Take one of the ads and you'll be hooked up with an aussie computer store.

Last edited:
I'm living in Sydney and I can tell you that the computer's here are expensive for a whole system but if you build your own you can get the parts at about the same price as the UK or a little cheaper.

The problem is that one company pretty much supplies the whole market. Dick Smiths is evil but they own all the major electronic retail outlets.

Some of the full systems here still come supplied with CRT monitors!

You pretty much have to go to the little asian retailers to get anything for a decent price but bargains are definitely there to be had.

Well I have come the other way, and generally I think things are cheaper here, even after you allow for the higher consumption tax (10% GST in Aus vs whatever VAT is here).

Things like videocards, for 300-400£ you'll get top of the line, in Aus you'd be looking at around $1100-$1200. Even when you do the conversions it's still cheaper in the UK, and thats with the higher consumption tax.

There's more competition over here so if you shop smart things are cheap. But then for example something like an Ipod 5g is much, much cheaper in aus, about $400 versus £220 ($530-$550). So milage varies.

Andy100 said:
I'm living in Sydney and I can tell you that the computer's here are expensive for a whole system but if you build your own you can get the parts at about the same price as the UK or a little cheaper.

The problem is that one company pretty much supplies the whole market. Dick Smiths is evil but they own all the major electronic retail outlets.

Some of the full systems here still come supplied with CRT monitors!

You pretty much have to go to the little asian retailers to get anything for a decent price but bargains are definitely there to be had.

A lot of places sell computers with crt monitors still. They have better colours and dont have a fixed resolution which gives them advantages over lcds in games and video production.

Back
Top Bottom