Computers not seeing each other?

Soldato
I've got a fairly small wireless network.

1x PC
2x laptops

I'm using a Netgear DG834 Router, My PC doesn't see the laptops on the network, not in cmd with net view or in the workgroup computers. I am using a linksys USB adapter and wondering if this could be affecting things? My firewall is off so it can't be that.

In cmd I get a 6118 error :(

If I get a netgear wireless adapter will this work?

The Laptops don't see the PC either...

Soldato
OP
I had found that, when it says right-click the firewalled network connection I presume that means the wireless connection? propeties and advanced then the only option there is the windows firewall settings?

Soldato
OP
Workgroup changed and still not working :(

On my PC I can't even access the workgoup computers window yet on a laptop I can but it only sees itself in the workgroup :(

Oh and network setup wizard ran too...

Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
What happens on your pc when you try and access the workgoup computers window, does your pc slow down and the workgroup window becomes 'not responding'? I dont really know what else to suggest.
Yeah, I don't even get to see the window, it just doesn't respond. Then I get an error saying its not accessible.

What OS are you running on the PC, and what's your network topology? To See another PC the PC must respond to a broadcast, if there is routing of any description between PCs broadcasts will be blocked. The only way to see PC's across subnets is if your on a domain.

The OS is XP sp2. The network is just a wireless network.

Would windows firewall be stopping it? Although I have it turned off sometimes it is displayed as on...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
errata said:
You ran the netwrok wizard on one PC than took the settings to each pc in turn, applied them and rebooted each?

No.

I indivudally ran the network setup wizard on each machine, although at the end of the wizard where it asks if I want to make a CD of it I shall...

Back
Top Bottom