Confederate flags in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I keep a Confederate flag, which was actually the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia until the last few months of the war. It's packed away since moving to my current flat, but I kept my hanging up indoors. I don't know why it's a big deal to have / fly one. I come from Texas and am proud of my ancestors standing up for state's rights. It bemuses me to see people say things like "KKK" or whatever, because there was no KKK during the Civil War. The KKK were such losers they couldn't even come up with their own flag :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Still doesn't make it ok .

I'm not sure it's "not ok" to fly a Confederate flag. Many people, mistakenly, assume the flag equals support of slavery, but that derives from the misconception that the American civil war was a single issue affair (i.e. slavery), when it very much wasn't the case. There were a few legislatures that actively supported banning slavery that still joined the Confederate side for example. FYI, it also wasn't about about "states rights", a myth peddled by those seeking to romanticise the Confederacy. The conflict was/is much more complicated and cannot be distilled into these two neat little items.

If anyone wants to read some books on the conflict, I highly recommend Bruce Catton's American Civil War trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
When I see the confederate flag I associate it to the side that wanted to keep slavery.

So if you keep one of these flags I think that’s the kind of person you are. (I don’t think of your “ancestors”, I mean I’m sure your ancestors came from Europe so why stop at that point in time to fly that flag, that alone really tells you so much of that person)

Caporegime
I'm not sure it's "not ok" to fly a Confederate flag. Many people, mistakenly, assume the flag equals support of slavery, but that derives from the misconception that the American civil war was a single issue affair (i.e. slavery), when it very much wasn't the case. There were a few states that actively supported banning slavery that still joined the Confederate side for example.

if anyone wants to read some books on the conflict, I highly recommend Bruce Catton's American Civil War trilogy.

You can argue the Nazi flag wasn’t just about Jews too, it doesn’t make it okay to fly the Nazi flag does it?

Permabanned
OP
Perhaps they're American/know Americans.?

They are not American, and I don't think they have any slaves in the summerhouse ;) I guess it's a biker / like US motorbikes thing. I had to look up the flag, I *THOUGHT* it was a Confederate flag, but there again with my scant knowledge of football I also thought it may have been some World Cup flag. And no, I am not taking a photo of their house, I may be many things but a liar I am not :)

Associate
When I see the confederate flag I associate it to the side that wanted to keep slavery.

So if you keep one of these flags I think that’s the kind of person you are. (I don’t think of your “ancestors”, I mean I’m sure your ancestors came from Europe so why stop at that point in time to fly that flag, that alone really tells you so much of that person)

I ususally associate it with attention-seeking edgelords. Then I laugh at them.

Soldato
You can argue the Nazi flag wasn’t just about Jews too, it doesn’t make it okay to fly the Nazi flag does it?

Why do you care so much about what flag is being flown?

People like symbolising all kinds of things that I don't particularly like. But its up to them what they want. We still, just about, live in a free land.

Caporegime
Why do you care so much about what flag is being flown?

People like symbolising all kinds of things that I don't particularly like. But its up to them what they want. We still, just about, live in a free land.

Why do you care so much about what I think?

They can fly what flag they want and I am free to think what I think of them, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom