Confederate flags in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
well you'#re saying confederates are basically nazis because of slavery so democrats are too right?

I’ve already explained it, you like to repeat things, I don’t.

I’m saying just because there are other issues it doesn’t make that very thing go away.

Unless you are trying to say slavery is a good thing.

Just because they didnt commit genocide does it make it okay? Does it have to be at that level of evil? It’s like trying to say this pile of poo smells less bad it’s okay to eat, it’s still a pile of crap.

Caporegime
You're the one comparing flags and putting judgement on them.

Good to see you say they can fly what they want. It wasn't clear in the posts I saw.

OP asks what people think of the flag. I don’t think of it as Harley Davidson or country music. I answered what I associate it with.

He opened the can of worms.

Asked and answered.

Soldato
It's just a flag, people who fly it are just proud of the culture, history and all that, not necessarily of slavery. Honestly, it's not different then someone flying the Union Jack, since we also have a very long history of slavery.

Liberals and SJW's will try their best to make people feel bad about it and associate it with negatively.

Caporegime
It's just a flag, people who fly it are just proud of the culture, not necessarily of slavery. Honestly, it's not different then someone flying the Union Jack, since we also have a very long history of slavery.

Liberals and SJW's will try their best to make people feel bad about it and associate it with negatively.

haha brilliant not an aproach i had thought of, your response @raymond_lin?

Soldato
so again you'll be decrying the democrats right?
For what? The confederate States was a snapshot in time, they do not exist anymore. By flying a confederate flag the person is not allying themselves with any sort of "current, modern" confederacy because such a thing does not exist. (I'm aware groups exist but besides the KKK I'd love for someone to be able to tell us off the top of their heads the other. Plus the fact remains the confederacy does not exist and that's what the flag represented). Therefore flying the flag is allying yourself with a snapshot in time where the confederacy was fighting to uphold slavery. Hence, it's main association with slavery. At the end of the day Raymond is entirely correct. The question was what do you think of someone flying the flag, and 99% of people think of the war and slavery. Again, much like the Nazis. I'm sure Hitler had a long and detailed party manifesto, but that got slightly over-shadowed by everything else didn't it...

To answer the question, I won't decry the Democrats because they are a modern political party that have evolved with the times. It's an entirely different thing.

Soldato
It's just a flag, people who fly it are just proud of the culture, history and all that, not necessarily of slavery
What parts of culture and history do they feel the need to celebrate that are not covered by the stars and stripes? :confused:

Honestly, it's not different then someone flying the Union Jack, since we also have a very long history of slavery.
It's not at all. See my point above about celebrating a snapshot in time. Flying the confederate flag is celebrating a snapshot in time where the confederacy was fighting to uphold slavery. It's entirely different from flying a modern Union Jack/flag.

haha brilliant not an aproach i had thought of, your response @raymond_lin?
See above.

Associate
The confederate flag is usually associated with being from the "South" and people fly it because they are proud of where they come from. The Southern states of America are negatively looked upon by the rest of the country as being full of inbred, lower class, uneducated people.. Not too dissimilar to the views on the North of England over here.

It has nothing to do with slavery or supporting the political views at the time, simply people being proud of being from the South/Southern heritage.

More recently, sensitive people have latched on to the whole 'slavery' thing and really gone to town with it but it's the same with everything in the modern age. Everyone loves to be offended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom