Confused on Bluetooth wireless headphones

Associate
So I want to buy a high-end pair of wireless headphones like the Sony XM3's or Nuraphones, but these type of headphones seem to want to be wired into a PC if your not using the phone app. However this is where I begin to get a little confused and have questions.

I already have a soundcard which from what I can tell must be plugged in to get the benefits, so its pointless paying a huge premium for a wireless headphone. If however I bought a generic bluetooth USB and plugged into my PC would I A) be able to connect any wireless headphone to it, and B) would any of the sound be compromised cos these seem designed to be run through a phone app, not PC (unless wired).

I know a simple answer would be to buy a 'gaming' wireless headset, but I care more for music than the headset features, and already have a separate mic (also sound quality seems to be better on these non-gaming focused headphone)

I have a vague understanding of sound and tech around it like DACS, amps, soundcards etc but really don't know specifics so I can imagine there's several solutions to my problem, also would say a budget wireless for £70 and £200 worth of DAC/amp be better than a £350 headphone directly connected to my PC and using virtual EQ's etc?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advise or explanation of anything I've outlined :)

Associate
It's a tricky one.

To get reasonable latency for gaming from Bluetooth headphones, they need to be APTX-LL. It's a pain to set this set up in Windows at the best of times and I'm pretty sure you can't do it without a dongle that specifically supports that codec.

A dac or sound card will only work with wired headphones.

Personally I think you'll 2.4GHz easier for your needs, if you still want to go wireless.

Associate
OP
Quick googling around. Do I understand you correctly that the easiest solution is to just get a bluetooth dongle (whether internal or external) thats Bluetooth 5.0/ 2.4ghz?

Associate
For Bluetooth, you would need headphones that support APTX-LL and a Bluetooth dongle that supports APTX-LL (they're often marketed for Nintendo Switch - Genki is a good brand). If they're not advertised as supporting APTX-LL, they almost certainly don't.

For 2.4GHz headphones, the dongle is usually included in the box.

If you're planning on using a mic, I'd go for a 2.4ghz headset as Bluetooth dongles don't always work with mics.

Associate
OP
so for example the Sony XM3's support page says the audio formats are: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD, LDAC and the bluetooth frequency supports: 2.4GHz band (2.4000GHz-2.4835GHz), it doesn't specifically say APTX-LL in there, but does mention 2.4ghz and aptx and aptx HD. would this connected to an APTX-LL dongle i but to plug into my motherboard be what I should be looking for? and additionally would I be able to use a virtual EQ etc and have a similar experience to a high end headphone + dac? also I'm using an independent mic so no need

Associate
The xm3 definitely doesn't support APTX-LL, so you'd be stuck with regular aptx. Are you planning on wearing then out and about, or juat at home?

You won't get virtual surround over Bluetooth. Personally I don't really like virtual or physical surround on headphones anyway. You get more accurate positioning with good stereo headphones.

If you're after the best sound quality, you can't beat wired with a dac. For a good budget option, you can't go wrong with Philips X2hr. Maybe pair it with a dragonfly red.

Associate
OP
So ive looked into a lot more reviews and explanations of headphones and better understand impedance and why you use a DAC. So at the moment I'm using a Sound Blaster Z soundcard and if it can deal with a higher Ohm headphone I dont see the point going out and buying an external dac worth nearly as much as the headphones I choose to buy.

I have abandoned the wireless idea since it seems to have too many compromises for my use case, but in a review for this card it says "Another coveted feature of the Creative Sound Blaster Z is the 600 Ohm Dedicated Headphone Amplifier, which allows it to support a wide range of headphones"

Does this mean it would sufficiently amplify a high ohm headphone? And do you see there being any point me buying an external DAC over using my current soundcard?

Back
Top Bottom