confused with widescreen resolution

Associate
im looking to upgrade to a widescreen monitor but know little about them, im currently playing games at 1600x1200 on a 19inch 4:3 monitor. what size of monitor do i need to be playing similar resoutions at? any suggestions

Associate
I think you're looking at 20" widescreens. They generally game at 1680x 1050.
I can recommend the NEC, i have one myself. They have it on this week only too :)

Soldato
i guess 20 inch or bigger. i think you'll find a 19inch ws resolution of 1440x900 a bit of a downgrade. :p

most 20-22 inch widescreens are 1680x1050. very comparable to what you are running now. :D

the next step up is 1920x1200 found on 24inch screens but you'll need a brute of a rig to power this at it's native res. :)

edit: beaten....

Soldato
From a 19" 4:3 CRT to 20" 16:10 TFT is a really nice upgrade. Another good screen to look at alongside the above mentioned NEC is the Dell 2007WFP.

Associate
OP
Belinea 2225S1W 22" Widescreen LCD? whats these like? im running a 6700 conroe and 1950xtx i think i might be ok in that department the monitor was my next bit. is there anyway that i could do away with my widscreen tv and use any of the monitors to play my xbox 360 and cable box??

Soldato
Belinea only has one input, so you'd have to swap VGA cables to use your 360 with it. If you get a screen with DVI + VGA inputs you can connect your PC through the DVI and your 360 through the VGA.

Dunno about a cable box though, I'm guessing it only has scart outputs which aren't going to connect to most TFTs. Some screens have composite input, but obviously that's going to look pretty awful, some have s-video which might look a bit better, and some have component which would probably look decent, but standard definition cable TV is pretty low res and once stretched onto a TFT might look a bit dodgy. For whatever reason TFT monitors don't display standard definition TV pictures as well as an LCDTV. Don't suppose your cable box has any of those outputs?

You can get a cable that goes from scart to composite + red/white audio. I doubt it will look too great though. I've tried connecting my xbox via s-video/composite to my Dell 2007WFP and it looks pretty awful TBH.

Maybe an LCDTV would be a better bet, but I suspect that wouldn't look so great with your PC.

Associate
I've ordered the Belinea for the same reason - PC and Xbox 360 plugging into it.
Since there's only one VGA input, I'm planning on getting around it by using a KVM switch to plug both into the same monitor - much the same as a manual SCART switch. As for using your cable TV into the monitor - probably a big no-no, unless you can run it into your PC and use a TV card or something...

Back
Top Bottom