Confusion over settings for ABS

Associate
I'm returning after a long gap to 3D printing with my Ender 3 V2 and Cura. But floundering over what I thought a simple task. I've always used PLA but today trying ABS.

Firstly, can someone explain whether this should be set in Cura or on my Ender 3 V2? It seems both are possible, but the Ender itself looks simple: I chose the 'Preheat PLA' setting. The temps duly rose from 60 to 70 and from 200 to 240, for bed and filament respectively. But as soon as I start printing those dropped back to the PLA defaults! Presumably why no ABS got placed. Repeated in vain several times.

Am I right that this is because Cura sets these temps in the Gcode file which overrules the Ender settings? I got in a real mess in the Cura settings. Hoping to hear back from Cura. But perhaps one of the experts here can help please?

Ideally I'd simply like to get Ender to set the appropriate defaults for 'Pre-heat ABS', and use those regardless.

BTW, that Ender ABS bed temp default of 70 seems much lower than the 90-110 I see recommended on the web? Even Cura uses 80. Advice from other ABS users please?

Last edited:
Like you said the temps are in the GCODE so check your settings in Cura.

Setting it at the Ender itself will just pre-heat everything until the GCODE comes along and changes it. For example you can slice your model and have different layers print at different temps.

ABS is hard to print with. Needs a very hot environment. Only printed with it a few times many years ago and had the filament at 240-250 and bed temp was up to 90. This was in a wooden box with a cover and I still had a little warp from it cooling unexpectedly.

Thanks Joe. Guess I’d better reconsider using that sample of ABS then. It came with the Ender 3 V2 a couple of years ago and it’s the only white filament I have.

I did try again to get Cura set up suitably last night, unsuccessfully, and this morning my BT broadband has gone down. This comes from my iPad, thankfully via my wife’s TalkTalk router.

Anyone have recommendation for white PLA from a UK supplier please? Ideally Amazon as I’m a Prime user and would like it quickly.

Last edited:
It's all much the sameness. Used Eryone quite a few times which has been good. Can see Elegoo is cheaper and I'd go for that if I needed some.

Currently prototyping something with a marble PLA from ZIRO whoever that is....prints fine although can clog which I think is more to do with the marble effect than the brand specifically.

***** ABS
ok so ABS needs 240-270 hot end, 80-100 bed AND AN ECLOSURE.
it must not cool until it's finished or you'll get warping.
it's got shrinkage like you wouldn't believe.

if you're looking at printing ABS on anything that's not fully enclosed and designed for it, then I would suggest giving up and trying ASA which should be more forgiving. but not much.

"have you put any thoughts into what material you're using? "
Yes.

"PLA is pretty much only good for decorative parts."
Really? What's your source? Virtually all my PLA prints are functional, not 'decorative', and I've been perfectly satisfied with them.

Back
Top Bottom