Connect radiator direct to chassis Mod

Associate
Hi all, I am considering ways of fixing a push pull 60mm radiator directly to the base surface of a Lian Li 011D XL. Ie, without the dedicated fan mounting bracket. I know it’s probably foolish, so I’m only considering it….

Ideally it would be done in a non-destructive way but this doesn’t seem feasible. I don’t think there are products out there than can do this.

If I were to mechanically fix it, this would mean drilling holes in the chassis, either to line up with the fan hole spacings, or, to fit some form of bracket to restrain the rad and fans combo. But again, am unaware of any products that can do this.

This is all because I stubbornly wanted to use 60mm push pull in the base beneath a gpu riser. I know it’s probably too much of a long shot and I should just use a 45mm rad on the Lian Li dedicated fan mounting frame that inserts into the bottom of the chassis.

However I thought I might pick your brains before I resign myself to the inevitable! Cheers guys :)

Associate
If I were to mechanically fix it, this would mean drilling holes in the chassis, either to line up with the fan hole spacings, or, to fit some form of bracket to restrain the rad and fans combo. But again, am unaware of any products that can do this.

Prior to various companies bringing out tooless mods or even making cases as moddable as they are now (moveable radiator mounts etc), most people would literally hack up their cases with a dremel to make things fit, and it still happens to this day.

If it don't fit normally... then you can make it fit anyhow you like.. usually with a drill or dremel.

In terms of radiator templates, i'm sure a google search would pop up a few from fellow modders etc, otherwise get measuring and make your own

Soldato
Hard to say without actually seeing it
But yeah usually there's a way
Drill, dremel etc
3d printer if got access to one
Glue, sticky velcro I have some of that which
Is ridiculously strong
I picked up a load of small aluminium brackets
In the clearance section for next to nothing
Have bent those into numerous shapes to attach stuff
Where it's not meant to go :cry:
Attached my 7 inch tablet as a hardware monitor screen
To my radiator etc

Edit
Could drill holes if none there
And depending on the fans used
Use those stretchy rubber fan fixings to attach it
Forgot the name but they're anti vibration things
Though only work with fans that don't have plastic all the way
From the front screw hole to the rear one
That's a bad description lol
But can't think how to explain it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmm… super strong Velcro, I have some of that, clean forgotten about it. That might be the ticket.

The difference in cooling between the 45 and 60 may be relatively modest in the scheme of things (don’t obsess with the data!) but the 60 has decent set of multiports on it.

Soldato
Yeah I don't obsess over every last degree
But it could mean you can use a little lower fan rpm
Less sound means lot more to me
Than shaving every last degree off
Plus I am a fan of multiport radiators
Makes life easier especially on top or bottom
Of the case
For fill and drain ports
Means you can get your drain port absolutely the
Lowest point in your loop

But yeah some of that sticky velcro is very useful :)
Or just double sided tape
Though those seem to vary how sticky they are
But end off the day you don't need a huge amount to hold it
Just enough to resist the torque of the fans really

Edit
Even clear silicone may be an option to consider
The decent stuff that smells like vinegar
That stays rubbery after time has passed
Some of the other stuff doesn't

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes silence is what I am aiming for. And the multiport will give me lowest drain point as you say, plus some ability to loop my way out of a tight space. Thanks mate will give Velcro a crack and see if this works.

Soldato
Another option
I am full of ideas today lol
Usually the frame of the chassis is steel
Even if other parts are aluminium
Super glue some little neodymium magnets on
To the corners of the fans
One way or another you should be able to
Bodget and scarper :cry:

Soldato
Yeah I was trying (badly lol) yesterday
To explain the different types of fans with regard
To that
How some you need a long screw
Which is fully encased
But others you can use 2 small screws if required
Probably still explaining it badly
That's why some pictures would help

Associate
OP
Here are some pics. Basically I know it’s a long shot and probably foolish but just need a way to secure this to the base. Ignore the cables, it’s all just a loose fit to illustrate the placement. Interested to hear any suggestions! :)

https://flic.kr/p/2mP2qC4

https://flic.kr/p/2mNWY34

https://flic.kr/p/2mNYaQ7

https://flic.kr/p/2mNWUnP

The other issue is obviously the bottom fans will be tight up to the base as I have removed the bottom fan mount chassis bracket that spaces them away a little.

Soldato
Like the colour scheme mate
My bottom rad is tight against the base
As I also removed the radiator mount on mine
Doesn't cause any problems
I would remove the bottom dust filter
Then see if can get a screw through possibly the slots
At end of where the dust filter was and into the fan
Probably with a washer so the screw head stays underneath the case
Even if you can only get 1 screw on opposite diagonal ends
That should still be enough to hold it
Yeah removing bottom dust filter does mean now and then
Got to tilt the case and use a paint brush to get dust off
I find it's worth it for the extra air flow as not going to get huge amount
Of airflow through those little grooves in the base

Edit
Can see why velcro was an issue
Because of the irregular shape of the vardars
But they do look good in that two tone colour

2nd edit
Once the tubings connected it also helps keep it
In place
Doesn't really require a huge amount of fixing there
Probably run a bit of silicone or glue along the edge nearest PCI slots
And maybe along the front edge with your finger
IE once it's sitting in place,not on the front of the fans
As the shape of those doesn't have corners flush with the case
If that makes sense,I can't always explain stuff very well lol
Though can see what I mean in my head
Unless you transport your case around a lot
All you are trying to do is prevent the initial torque of the fans starting
From moving it

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Much appreciated @Mcnumpty2323 I am thinking that some slim angle brackets might be useful, either as direct fix, or in combination with the velcro. Perhaps the sort of brackets used to fix reservoirs to radiators. I remember seeing some that EK supply with their FLT products that are quite slim.

Associate
Ahh i was uinder the assumption the radiator would be placed at the roof.. my bad.

Forgive me for being silly, as i've not had this case before, but how would you normally screw fans at the base? i don't see any holes.. or is it not originally meant to hold any?

For the base, does seem a little difficult especially with the Vardars fan mounts and thin surface area. The only non-destructive way i can think of though not fully bulletproof so to speak would be to use some strong double-sided tape like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T98KJVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

where the fan edges can mould and rest on the tape giving a titght seal and is strong enough to hold down the radiator, whilst doesn't leave any marks/residue when you decide to remove it. That would help stop it wobbling about if you move the computer around, though i don't know what would happen if you tilt... may hold but not for long periods of time.

Soldato
Yeah I mentioned similar earlier
Little brackets I picked up in ocuk clearance section
It's always worth looking in clearance section
Then watercooling section and tell it cheapest items first
I used the brackets and sticky velcro to attach my tablet
In a similar idea the brackets and velcro being at the rear
Where they're hidden
@im4gine3 I believe it's got a removable mount/bracket for radiator
Though assumed the op is unable to use that for
His precise purpose
Since though a different pc case likewise I had to remove mine
To accommodate what I wanted to do

Edit
These are what I used
Small but strong but can still bend them if needed
With couple of pairs of mole grips,pliers etc
Though any sort of cheap L brackets would do
I wouldn't pay extra for specific reservoir/radiator ones from branded name
May be possible to fix something like that to the radiator mount
With screw/nut and bolt
Then the sticky velcro on them and the fans/radiator

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume you can't use the radiator mount
Because of the design of the vardars?
Couldn't you just get longer screws to be able to use it?
Or wire plastic covered cable twist,,never know what to call those
Under the screw head then through the holes in radiator mount?

Soldato
Prior to various companies bringing out tooless mods or even making cases as moddable as they are now (moveable radiator mounts etc), most people would literally hack up their cases with a dremel to make things fit, and it still happens to this day.

If it don't fit normally... then you can make it fit anyhow you like.. usually with a drill or dremel.

In terms of radiator templates, i'm sure a google search would pop up a few from fellow modders etc, otherwise get measuring and make your own

It's been quite a while since I've owned a case I haven't put drill nor Dremel to :p I'd say just drill the holes!

Alternatively, you could fabricate a bracket that can mount to any existing points holes in the case. Even say, a rivet can be drilled out, bracket added, and riveted again.

I've always had the attitude that it's your stuff, and you can do whatever you like with it. A case doesn't truly feel like it's yours until you've had a bit of a go at it ;)

Associate
OP
Ahh i was uinder the assumption the radiator would be placed at the roof.. my bad.

Forgive me for being silly, as i've not had this case before, but how would you normally screw fans at the base? i don't see any holes.. or is it not originally meant to hold any?

For the base, does seem a little difficult especially with the Vardars fan mounts and thin surface area. The only non-destructive way i can think of though not fully bulletproof so to speak would be to use some strong double-sided tape like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T98KJVP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

where the fan edges can mould and rest on the tape giving a titght seal and is strong enough to hold down the radiator, whilst doesn't leave any marks/residue when you decide to remove it. That would help stop it wobbling about if you move the computer around, though i don't know what would happen if you tilt... may hold but not for long periods of time.

Not at all! To generate a bit of vertical height from the floor of the case to the GPU bracket (not shown), I have proposed to remove a standard Lian-Li fan mounting bracket and mount direct to the chassis base. This gives me an additonal 15mm to fit the 25mm/60mm/25mm of the push/pull fan and radiator combo. That tape looks bloody useful though, thanks :) Have ordered some anyway!

I assume you can't use the radiator mount
Because of the design of the vardars?
Couldn't you just get longer screws to be able to use it?
Or wire plastic covered cable twist,,never know what to call those
Under the screw head then through the holes in radiator mount?

Yes could do, but as a above due to the omission of the bracket, this would entail drilling the specific holes into the chassis and using some fairly long screws. Am not sure this is the best option, also given the Varder fan design. I have some brackets now, so will try a bracket / velcro lash up* and see if it works.

A case doesn't truly feel like it's yours until you've had a bit of a go at it ;)

I absolutely love this comment! :)

(* that's a technical term, kids, write it down!)

Back
Top Bottom