Connecting multiple machines up

Soldato
My previous post didn't get any response, but i've been looking at some of it myself and think I might know what i'm doing. The situation is we currently have 1 computer connected to ADSL BT broadband via a USB modem. We'd now like to join mine and my brothers computer to the network aswell. Because our machines are upstairs, we want to use wireless for them, however for security/reliability we'd still like this machine hard wired. I think this would work but truly have no experience with this sort of thing:

Linksys WAG354G-UK as the wireless router. This should have our phone line connected striaght into it? We no longer need our moden with this device?

This computer can join to it via one of the 4 ethernet 10/100 ports? We will need also a Belkin F5D5005EA type card installed into this machine to allow connectivity via the ethernet port?

At the same time, our 2 computers can connect to the wireless-G system? To do this we install Belkin F5D7000UK 802.11g cards into our machines? I'm not sure I have a free PCI in mine anymore, so alternatively could I use a USB device, ie. Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter (F5D7050UK)? The range is around 3 metres at a guess if that is important.

Can anyone confirm this as correct or otherwise? Thanks :)

Soldato
OP
Ok, I can use the Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter for my brothers machine (to match the router/modem) and the Netgear GA311 Gigabit PCI for this machines ethernet connectivity (no linksys option unfortunately). Is it worth getting the Netgear WPN111 108Mbps over the Belkin 54Mbps Wireless for my PC's USB wireless connection? Big point appears to be range, which probably isn't an issue :confused:

Caporegime
No point spending more money on a 108Mbps card with a 54Mbps router. Same applies to a gigabit card with a 100Mbps switch port (though the difference in price isn't so big).

Soldato
OP
Plan on ordering soon, what do you think would be most suitable for the cards? Don't definately have to use that modem/router either, but it looks suitable.

Soldato
OP
I'm intending to order now. Just to make sure, you can use the ethernet switch at the same time as the wireless G connection? I'm still not totally sure which cards are most suitable :confused:

EDIT: Will this work? Ignore the copy of XP :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom