Connecting Rokit 6 G1 to PC

Soldato
I picked up some Rokit 6 G1's for £50 and I need to figure out how to connect them to my PC as I have no idea

Can someone tell me what cables I need

Last edited:
Soldato
It may, it may not. Depends whether a sound card will also be affected, which is impossible to know without trying one first.

DAC via optical would be a safer bet to avoid interference.

Soldato
OP
It may, it may not. Depends whether a sound card will also be affected, which is impossible to know without trying one first.

DAC via optical would be a safer bet to avoid interference.

I have a cheap DAC, I don't have an optical port though I'd have to get a sound card for that. Would it be worth trying with a cheap DAC

Last edited:
Soldato
Look on the back of the studio monitors. I have the Rokit powered 5's I have stereo (balanced) 1/4 (quarter inch) jack to XLR but you can use 1/4 jack to 1/4 jack, I found RCA too noisy too much interference. I also use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface which has 1/4 jacks balanced outputs for left and right studio monitors.

Soldato
Look on the back of the studio monitors. I have the Rokit powered 5's I have stereo (balanced) 1/4 (quarter inch) jack to XLR but you can use 1/4 jack to 1/4 jack, I found RCA too noisy too much interference. I also use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface which has 1/4 jacks balanced outputs for left and right studio monitors. My setup is mainly for ableton live lite and a few software synths and a few plugins. I have not been able to isolate interference and remove it completely, there is always some form of electromagnetic interference. Some have suggested ground loops but my setup will suffice.

Soldato
He'll need a device with balanced outputs of he is going to use those. Such a device will cost him more than the speakers did. Really depends what he's looking to spend.

If not a lot, then a USB DAC will do fine if the USB is free of electrical noise.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, I think what I'm hearing is ground loop. Every time I move the mouse the interference gets worse, I'm not sure if I need a DAC or a ground loop isolator

Soldato
You can try a ground loop isolator. Might get rid of it altogether, or partially. They're cheap, so no real loss if one doesn't help all that much.

If the DAC you have is optical, then you'll need to get a sound card. If that's the case, then certainly worth getting a ground loop isolator first. Cheaper than buying a sound card just for optical out, and it might solve the problem.

Associate
Just get a cheap audio interface and be sure to connect the active monitors to it via BALANCED connection(s) such as XLR or balanced jack (this will have two black rings round the top of the cable).

Associate
Check out Presonus they make a cheap audio interface (~£70) called the Audiobox USB.

RCA phono sucks balls and will always sound horrible as it is inherently unbalanced FYI so has no protective coating against EFI from the computer.

Back
Top Bottom