Connecting to my home pc over the internet

VNC will though I don't know the details since I've not used it myself. Windows Remote Desktop also does but you have to install IIS, and even then it only works with ActiveX I think, through IE, and it won't work through proxies. I've never had the need to change so still use Remote Desktop but from what I've heard VNC is superior.

I use real vnc and as far as im aware you dont connect through a browser also imo remote desktop is better as it seems to load faster and allows you to drag files between desktops unlike vnc. you will need a copy of XP pro though

T180985 said:
I use real vnc and as far as im aware you dont connect through a browser also imo remote desktop is better as it seems to load faster and allows you to drag files between desktops unlike vnc. you will need a copy of XP pro though
I'm not saying the web interface is compulsary but I've seen in a recent thread somewhere somebody said you can get some web option. Never looked into it myself though.

I use VNC from work to my home pc, uses java to run via your web browser. I have also used Logmein but found issues with the scaling of the remote screen if you didnt have it at 100%. You could hardly read the text etc. It worked fine when I first had it etc.

I use my home pc as a small web server so I just add the port number at the end of the address and it will connect.

Cant send files via it but if I need to I just send it to myself via gmail, have fast connections at work and home so its fairly easy to do it this way.

the thing is that the VNC software i use only has a local ip address and not an external ip address so it won't let me to connect to it from anywhere else, Is the any way to get round this?

O.k. so if i use RealVNC on PC 2 and wanted to access it over the internet from PC 1 Then i would use the External Ip address on pc2 (something like 81.256.0.1) Now i run RealVNC Server on PC 2 and use the Viewer on PC 1, Do i need to write something like 81.256.0.1:5900 in the box then press o.k.?

Colbaker said:
O.k. so if i use RealVNC on PC 2 and wanted to access it over the internet from PC 1 Then i would use the External Ip address on pc2 (something like 81.256.0.1) Now i run RealVNC Server on PC 2 and use the Viewer on PC 1, Do i need to write something like 81.256.0.1:5900 in the box then press o.k.?

The port would be 81.256.0.1:5800 for the standard install of VNC.

You would need to ensure this port is forwarded in the router to the internal IP of the machine you wish to connect to.

Please check out UltraVNC as I find it does a much better job over the internet.

Also, if you have PC2 behind NAT/PAT that cannot be altered (e.g. Work to be accessed from Home) then check out echoVNC, which uses a remote "echoServer" to bypass the firewall/router (as the connections on both ends are outgoing)

Back
Top Bottom