Connecting two Netgear adsl routers over wireless?

Soldato
I'm trying to connect two Netgear ADSL Routers together using their wireless. The reason for this is one router has the internet on and one PC. Then on the other side of the house I have another router which has 3 pcs connected to it but no telephone wire.

So, is it possible and if so - how? Any pointers really appreciated, I need to get this running asap for my girlfriend who needs it for her work, erk!

EDIT: Enabled RIP on both routers but still nothing, hmmm. I'm pretty sure it can be done though..

Last edited:
Associate
What are the models of the Netgear's

The the PC connecting wirelessly to the routers ?

I think you wil need to set the one without the ADSL connected to act as a wireless repeater and also turn of the DHCP server on it so that the IP's are assigned from the ADSL router.

Man of Honour
I could never get this to work (assuming you mean wireless to wireless connection between the routers).

Far far easier and more reliable to have an ethernet cable run between them.

Associate
WDS

Unless the routers support some sort of Wireless bridging commonly referred to as WDS (Wireless Distribution System) I do not think you will be able to do what you are trying

I have the same setup and spend a LONG time look for a router that would be WDS and ended up getting 2 x D-LINK DGL-4300 routers which I still use

I would very much like to move from a "G" network to an "N" one for extra range but as of yet have not been able to locate any "N" routers with the functionality I need

The only other way is to purchase to Wireless Acess Points as most of these support WDS or some sort of Wireless bridging

wij

wij

Associate
You could just look at a cheap wireless -> ethernet bridge and ditch the second adsl router in favour for one with a wan connection port, plug the bridge into that, hook it up to the adsl routers wifi network and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom