Conroe & DS4 - At end of teather!

Associate
OP
In reply to RobG & Devastation I have left it cycling for about 4 or 5 minutes with nothing.......

Main issue now is that the plastic clip that hold ths battery in place is broken :( So I can't really do anything.

Think i'm gonna RMA the board to Gigabyte and hope they send me a new WORKING board!

Abz

Abz

Associate
Monstermunch said:
In reply to RobG & Devastation I have left it cycling for about 4 or 5 minutes with nothing.......

Main issue now is that the plastic clip that hold ths battery in place is broken :( So I can't really do anything.

Think i'm gonna RMA the board to Gigabyte and hope they send me a new WORKING board!

I might be blind and didnt see from above... have you tried testing the CPU. If OCUK say its fine, it means they found the Mobo to function properly.

Try having everything connected except the CPU.... see if it beeps with "NO CPU ERROR" comes up. You might not get a output on your monitor.

PSU sounds to be fine...

Or try this but be very careful....

have your mobo on the mobo Box.... connect PSU, install RAM and CPU and GFX card only. Connect the Case jumpers correctly (connecting them the wrong way round might cause problems) now Turn it on (DO NOT TOUCH BOARD WHEN POWER IS ON sorry 4 caps) see if you get any beeps. if not take eg ram out and turn on (make sure you turn off power when removing hardware and testing)

Good luck

Associate
OP
d.chatten said:
@Monstermunch

I came across the link below to a PDF from Gigabyte on the XS forums and it seems this issue is also pressent on the DQ6 and DS3 aswell as the DS4, take a look at the PDF below for the DQ6, it may explain and may help you work out the problem you are having.

http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/FileLis...board_newtech/how_does_quad_bios_work_dq6.pdf

Good luck!
Well, having read the above link would explain a lot.......

But as far as i'm concerned if the bios's are corrupted then the board is faulty.

Associate
OP
Abz said:
I might be blind and didnt see from above... have you tried testing the CPU. If OCUK say its fine, it means they found the Mobo to function properly.

Try having everything connected except the CPU.... see if it beeps with "NO CPU ERROR" comes up. You might not get a output on your monitor.

PSU sounds to be fine...

Or try this but be very careful....

have your mobo on the mobo Box.... connect PSU, install RAM and CPU and GFX card only. Connect the Case jumpers correctly (connecting them the wrong way round might cause problems) now Turn it on (DO NOT TOUCH BOARD WHEN POWER IS ON sorry 4 caps) see if you get any beeps. if not take eg ram out and turn on (make sure you turn off power when removing hardware and testing)

Good luck
The board is now knackered cos the battery clips are broken.........

If the CPU was borked then it wouldn't boot at all........

Personally I just think the boards are a little hit & miss, with some people reporting similar problems to me and others having no problems at all. This is the main reason for RMA'ing the board back to Gigabyte. Hopefully they will send me a working board!

Abz

Abz

Associate
Monstermunch said:
The board is now knackered cos the battery clips are broken.........

If the CPU was borked then it wouldn't boot at all........

Personally I just think the boards are a little hit & miss, with some people reporting similar problems to me and others having no problems at all. This is the main reason for RMA'ing the board back to Gigabyte. Hopefully they will send me a working board!

It wont hurt to try..... trust me.... :D

Associate
If you bought it all from ocuk then try speaking to their tech guys about it. Obvoiusly they have sold you a faulty product. You could return everything to them and let them find the dodgy product. When you get into the bios does it show cpu and ram correctly. I reckon its board though as if its fault with other items then it should beep for that. You could buy another ds4 and then put bust one in box and send back for refund

Associate
My God, reading this was horrendous. Really sorry you have to put up with all the troubles. I really don't think it's the PSU, so many people have been reporting boot problems with Gigabyte boards. My 2p but I really think it's the board, buy another board like Asus PW5 or P5B and flog the Gigabyte one on Ebay when you get it back.

Monstermunch said:
Calling anyone and everyone.......

Been building PC's for years and never experienced anything like this:

The story so far:

1. Got stuff from OcUK 2 weeks ago....
2. Assembled slowly without any problems (except having to refer to manuals for connections for ATX2.0 PSU's cos I never had one before)
3. Turned on.......2-3 secs later, restart & repeated. Didn't post, no beeps, nothing
4. Tried swapping ram around, same as above
5. Tried individual ram, same as before
6. Disconnected everything non-essential, still re-starting
7. reset CMOS, no effect
8. Disconnected everything except CPU, 1 stick Ram, Mobo & PSU. Still nothing
9. RMA'd mobo
10. Got mobo back saying it works?
11. Borrowed cheap 512mb stick of PC4800 ram.... After a couple of re-starts got into bios.
12. Flashed bios from F2 to the F3 version
13. Tried XMS2 ram again, nothing
14. Upped voltages..... Still Nothing
15. RMA'd Ram
16. Bought Geil Ultra ram
17. Installed & Booted...... Nothing, still re-starting
18. swapped ram around, eventually got into bios with 1 stick after 2-3 restarts
19. Upped Dimm voltage from 1.8v to 2.1v stated on ram...
20. Wouldn't even re-start!
21. Switched everything off & tried again, nothing
22. Removed battery to reset CMOS as stated in Gigatripes manual (must've done this 10+ times previously with no problems)
23. Gently re-seated battery.
24. Plastic clips that hold battery in Place snap off!
25. RMA's mobo to Gigabyte......

Associate
I feel your pain, i have had the EXACT same problems as you. I am fairly convinced that it is due to RAM incompatibility, but that doesn't help me at all.

I RMA'ed my DQ6 and E6600 to where i bought it from, they tested it and said both worked fine so returned them to me (only after i paid £35 in charges though! :mad: )

I went on to the assumption that it had to be PSU related, since this problem persisted even when the CPU was the only thing hooked up to the motherboard. I replaced my Enermax Noisetaker 600 watt PSU with a HiperPower R-series 580 watt. I went with this PSU because i read it among the specs of a test system in an E6600 review. The only difference this had was that the motherboard would now give me the rapid beeps when there was no RAM installed.

So i then went with the assumption it was RAM related. My 2gb OCZ PC2-5400 Gold dual channel kit was returned and i bought a 2gb G.Skill NS series PC6400 kit. I chose this because this RAM is sold as being for Intel systems only, so i figured it had to be compatible.... WRONG! Same problem. That was when i finally (completely by accident) stumbled across the Gigabyte P965 RAM compatibility thread in this forum.

For Giagbyte to release their 965P series boards in this state, with so many incompatibilities with RAM, is a joke. I have spent almost 3 weeks trying to get my PC to work. My simple CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade turned into a CPU, motherboard, RAM, power supply and RAM again upgrade and it is STILL not working. Add the fees for having my RMA'ed processor and motherboard returned, plus fees for having 2 local PC repairmen coming to have a look at the thing since i was completely stumped and it ends up with me being extremely ****** off, way more out of pocket than i should be, and my online business in tatters because my main PC has been out of action for so long and i have no way of accessing my work.

NOT happy at all....

Associate
I've got a DQ6 with E6700 and had to RMA some G.Skill for the same reasons which I replaced with Geil 6400 800mhz low latency which worked first time with default settings on the DQ6, including F2 Bios.
All I can say is that when you get it running you will *** it! ;)
DOn't understand the asterisks as I just used the abbrev for love!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom