Considering an Audi A3 ... wise purchase?

Soldato
In fairness to the ashtray, for that kind of money they aren't a terrible car ( horrible steering and dated interior aside) - it's just that the mk2 focus is a genuinely good car, to the point where nothing can really match it as an all rounder

Associate
OP
It was originally my first choice in terms of type of car I was going to look for, I like the A3 but always assumed that it would be very expensive to insure, but turns out that now I'm old and have some no claims it's no different, so thought I would take a look, and then get opinions from the interwebs :D

Caporegime
What kinda mileage would you expect on a Petrol equivalent? Only reason I ask is that I've been told that Petrol engines are good for 75k, and Diesel's are good for 150k, and looking around, most petrol cars at this kinda price have done way more than 75k, but the diesel's are around 100k. Is this something worth noting or does it tend to be way off the mark these days?

I don't know who told you that but they want a slap.

Caporegime
stop telling him not to get a diesel.Its his cash and i think Diesels are great.

Well that clears that up then. Get a diesel because this guy thinks they're great.

Ignore the fact that:
- you don't do the mileage required for it to make financial sense
- you'll get a lower spec and higher mileage vehicle
- there's far more expensive things to go wrong on the diesel
- it's less powerful
- it's less refined

Definitely follow his advice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What mileage should I be doing to make a Diesel more worthwhile? The drive to work will soon double when I move, and even as it is the drive will be down quiet roads rather than a city drive. On top of this I have family in Coventry and Warwick that I visit as well, which should probably have been mentioned too.

On top of that, isn't the MPG around 45 for the diesel, and around 29 for the petrol, is that a sginificant difference to consider?

Looking into it further, Once insured, there will be about £1300 in the difference of these cars, would you say that in the long run the more expensive one would be worth it? The power and "refinements" that come with it don't fuss me, same with the spec as I'm not any kind of speed demon or boy racer, so in my mind it's ultimately paying for the miles off the clock, plus the potential cost of repairs - which may or may not happen, but either way I'm fairly clueless on what they would be.

I realise this sounds like I'm talking myself into one, but the money I don't spend will go back into the mortgage fund, so if there is a reasonable cause to get the lower cost one I'd go for it :)

Caporegime
The problem with the diesel is yes you get more MPG but you're also at a bigger risk of a several hundred pound bill for a reconditioned turbo/new injectors/DMF. So you want to be doing monster miles to make that worth it.

There is no magic mileage that means you have to change to a diesel, however if you're looking at 5k cars I suspect a £600 bill for a new turbo isn't going to be water off a ducks back.

If you're going to go for a cheaper car, go for a cheaper petrol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The problem with the diesel is yes you get more MPG but you're also at a bigger risk of a several hundred pound bill for a reconditioned turbo/new injectors/DMF. So you want to be doing monster miles to make that worth it.

There is no magic mileage that means you have to change to a diesel, however if you're looking at 5k cars I suspect a £600 bill for a new turbo isn't going to be water off a ducks back.

If you're going to go for a cheaper car, go for a cheaper petrol.

Yikes, and there goes half the money I thought I would save.

Ultimately I'm looking for something that will last me for a good while that may have the odd thing go wrong here and there, but nothing like the possibility of the turbo breaking and costing me £600, whilst it might not happen, if it's something that has a tendency to go then I would forever be worrying about it.

There's nothing specifically like that to worry about with regard to the petrol version I linked initially?

Associate
OP
Wondering if I'm possibly just looking at the wrong car. Is there something else that I should consider within the boundaries of the focus/golf/A3 shape at the price I'm looking at? Totally open to recommendations.

Associate
OP
Guessing the 1.4 version of the focus isn't worth considering? Seems like a small engine for a reasonably large hatchback like this?

I'm scouring Auto Trader again to see what's about, on that subject as well, a petrol focus for around £4k - rough guide on mileage for a reasonably maintained car, around 60k? Again I know there is a lot to consider with owners etc... but a, generally no more than X miles would be useful.

Edit: Looks promising: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...t/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom