Considering an Audi A3 ... wise purchase?

Man of Honour
A £600 turbo is the least of your worries with diesels of that era. Talking £1000 for a replacement DMF and clutch, and they do go - mine did :(

Petrol all the way.

Man of Honour
Guessing the 1.4 version of the focus isn't worth considering? Seems like a small engine for a reasonably large hatchback like this?

I'm scouring Auto Trader again to see what's about, on that subject as well, a petrol focus for around £4k - rough guide on mileage for a reasonably maintained car, around 60k? Again I know there is a lot to consider with owners etc... but a, generally no more than X miles would be useful.

Edit: Looks promising: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...t/page/2/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

1.6 minimum on the Focus, try and test drive a few if you can.

Buy on condition, not mileage. If I found a better 100,000 mile car than a 60,000 mile car, then I'd be happy to go with it so long as it has good service history.

Associate
OP
Aye
I bought mine for a bit over 3k. sport model with 6 speed gearbox, Cd changer auto wipers etc etc etc

Good to know, I'll see what's about. Mate of mine is coming to ferry me about today to see what we can find, so I'll have a look at the Mazda 3s that are on offer now :)

Thanks for the continued help folks, much appreciated :cool:

Caporegime
On top of that, isn't the MPG around 45 for the diesel, and around 29 for the petrol, is that a sginificant difference to consider?

29 MPG on what? I have a 1.6 Petrol Focus and did 45 MPG on my last tank...

pSFDZ4J.png

The 42 MPG entry was achieved whilst stuck in traffic for about an hour amongst other stop start driving.

Associate
I have an 05 Focus, the girlfriend has an 05 Mazda 3, both 1.6 petrol. The focus is far better in handling and steering feel as well as more response from the pedal. Test drive all options before deciding.

Associate
OP
Sorry folks, was out car hunting today so I missed all of the above!

I've taken the plunge. Found a great 2007 Focus, Zetec 1.8 petrol. 57k on the clock.

Full service history, and 2 previous owners. By all accounts from my knowledgeable friend it's been very well looked after.

Thanks to all for the assist on the purchase, definitely would have been more difficult otherwise. :D

Now....about that **** stock stereo.... :p

Associate
OP
Thanks :) Nice bunch of guys at the garage as well. We found a bunch of things that needed fixing and have said that they'll MOT it, and whatever comes up they'll fix as well.

Gonna be weird not driving a classic mini anymore, but somehow I think that my knees won't miss it ^_^

Associate
OP
One other thing whilst I'm looking at the insurance stuff, can anyone confirm for me what alarm system is fitted in the Zetec? I think it's a Thatcham CAT 2 immobiliser, as well as a perimeter alarm, making it a class 2/1... I think.

Back
Top Bottom