Considering Learning Flutter

Soldato
Hi all, I wrote a few Android apps a few years back, before Kotlin and all went quite well. I have a about three apps I use myself almost daily.

I bought a MacBook and tried learning Swift and just couldn't get on with it.

Recently I tried to update my apps to Google's requirements and a variety of things just wouldn't work (this is literally just updating the deprecated parts, not adding to the apps in any way) and I figure I might be better just starting over again. (Some of my apps are pretty simple)

I then heard about Flutter and wondered if I might be better to learn this and re-write my apps so I can make iOS versions too? (I do own an iPhone, but it's not my daily and I would more want apps in both eco systems just in case I ever wanted to move to a more professional/money making use of app development)

Do 'pro' developers use Flutter or is it too restricted? How simple/easy to use and learn is Flutter? What are your thoughts?

Soldato
OP
I really want to get into Android development

My recommendation would be learn Java first, or at least some of it. Then move into Android. If you use Udemy, I can link a couple of good courses.

What operating system do you use for development

Usually Windows 10. I have a MacBook Pro, but have only coded on it in an emergency.

Soldato
OP
I've done some reading on Android development and I was under the impression that Kotlin is the hot new thing in the Android space?

Tbf, you're completely right. You probably should look for a Kotlin course.

Two of the better Android courses I did were -

https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-android-n-developer-course/learn/

https://www.udemy.com/course/android-tutorial-for-beginners/learn/

But they aren't Kotlin. If Rob Percival has a Kotlin course, that would be a fairly safe bet.

Back
Top Bottom