• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Consistent large R5 3600 Temperature spikes when benchmarking

Associate
Hi all,

I've had no luck anywhere else figuring this out. I have a new R5 3600 installed on an MSI B450 tomahawk max, cooled by a hyper 212 black in a very well ventilated case. When benchmarking AIDA64, I get 10 degree spikes of temperature from 70-72 to 80-82 degrees at consistent timed intervals. (SEE PICTURE)

https://imgur.com/F4lT1ba

I have OC'd the CPU all-core to 4.2ghz @1.3v in the bios
I have OC'd the DDR4 3600mhz CL18 kit to 3800mhz CL18 @1.4v

I cannot for the life of me work out why it's spiking at these intervals and no one seems to be having this same problem. Is it voltage related?

Please help!

Soldato
it could be down to the memory controller within the cpu, pushing your ram to 3800mhz will make the infinity fabric run at or around 1900mhz which puts a huge load on your cpu, have you tried your cpu overclock but keep you ram at its default speed to see if temps drop back and don't spike?

4.2ghz at 1.3v is a tad high too so i'd recommend dropping back until you find instability, not sure where you'd end up but it might be worth dropping it a bit (i'd say around 1.28v ish if the cpu can)

Associate
OP
Have you actually checked the voltage when benchmarking? Also have you tried any other benchmarks like OCCT?

Hi! Whilst benchmarking AIDA64 stress test, the voltage is jumping between 1.2580 and 1.2820, but it doesn't seem to be in line with the temperature spikes. This is odd to me, as I manually set the CPU Core voltage to 1.3 in the bios? I thought it would lock to that but obviously not.

Back
Top Bottom