Console Related Brain Teaser:

You have 1 Xbox 360
1 PC
1 Netgear Router
1 Wireless Adaptor for Router
1 Network Cable
1 Monitor

Your setup:

The PC is setup as standard, plugged into monitor and connects to the internet via the Wireless adaptor.

The 360 connects to the same monitor (VGA cable) and would like to also connect to the internet.

Microsoft says 'use windows ics' to allow the 360 to plug directly into your computers network card. Thus using the same connection, via the wirelss adaptor that the PC uses.

BUT, it dosent work. The 360 connection comes up on the PC as a LAN connection and is not able to get an IP address as its already in use....

The brainteaser is this - have any of you got this setup, using ICS and how do you get around that error?

PC works online fine :)

Cheers,

Soldato
is that as simple as - right click on wireless connection, select bridge??

You usually have to highlight both the wireless and wireless connection and then right-click and choose Bridge.

I did that for a while when I'd moved my 360 to the other side of the room to the router and it worked fine.

Permabanned
OP
how do i tell the difference

im using a cable that came with my sky router, that used to wire my pc to the router

Soldato
that will be a "patch" cable.

im 90% sure you need a "crossover" cable, if you go into a computer shop that sells cables you'll find that there is are two types of ethernet, patch and crossover. you want crossover.

Associate
i thought you needed a normal cable as the one that comes with the consol is a crossover one i can never remember to be honest i got a similar setup but not wireless my 360 connects to pc and pc uses a usb broadband router.

Permabanned
OP
you use the 360 cable for that?

big 40 foot thing :D

if so, then i should be able to do the same, as essentially im just connecting the 360 to the PC - PC is then wirelessly getting the internet access

Associate
I just use the standard Xbox cable and its the exact same setup as I'm using. I just right clicked on the wireless connection->Properties ->Advanced -> Tick the "allow other network users to connect... blah blah blah"

Done!

Soldato
Look at both ends of the cable

Straight Through (what i think the Xbox comes with)
cable_utp_clip_image002.gif

Crossover (What you need)
cable_utp_clip_image003.gif

Permabanned
OP
dosent work when bridging, same problem - actually this killed my PC connection too

i just get a IP address conflict, as the IP address is already being used. Get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on the 'connection' icon in the task tray

Back
Top Bottom