Constant Re-Boots

Associate
Hi All!

I have a Threadripper 1920x system with a Microstar X399 mobo, 32gb RAM and two RTX 2800ti GPUs. I know it is getting on a bit but there is still plenty of life in the system and it renders pretty quick using Redshift.

The problem I am getting started last week, I would be working on my PC and then it would make a faint blip noise and re-boot. I updated the GPU driver still does it. Then I left it with no apps running and it still does the same thing. So I thought I would test it using memtest86 with a bootable USB drive. Booted up fine and started the test and after about 10 mins it rebooted itself. So doing this I know the problem is not Windows 10 since it didn't boot into Windows - right?

So I booted into BIOS and left it to run and low an behold it blipped and re-booted.

I cannot really pinpoint what is causing this. All I can think is that it is either the power supply which is a Corsair AX1600i which is only 4 years old, the RAM Corsair Vengance, the GPUs which are identical (and I have tried running the machine on both and it still crashes so I don't think it is either of these) or a flaky CPU or mobo. I know the CPU is not overheating since I monitored the temperature in BIOS.

If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know. The machine is reasonably useable until it decides to re-boot!

@Tetras I think I did a Windows update but other than that nothing. I don't think it is Windows though since when I boot into BIOS and leave it it does it little blip re-boot and when I ran memtest86 it does the same thing so with those tests it is not touching the Windows OS since it cannot be them. I have just checked all the temperatures and they seem to be fine I am wondering of it might be a malfunctioning temperature sensor that is causing it to think it is running too hot and then reboot? Would that make sense? Or would a temperature thing cause the machine to shut down?

All the fans are running fine from what I can see, spent a half day cleaning everything. I think I might unplug the USB devices and one of the GPUs and some of the mem and see if it behaves then. It is REALLY annoying!

Well I would be really annoyed if it was the PSU since it was a Rolls Royce of a PSU, a Corsair AX1600i which is 1600 watts and cost me over £400! And it's only 4 years old…

OK the latest update is I took out the memory and tested each stick individually after disconnecting all the hard drives. I also removed one of the identical GPUs. It still re-booted. So I switched to the other GPU - it still rebooted! Then I looked at my PSU since it has a test button on the AX1600i PSU. It turned green and the fan spun but I tested it several times and occasionally it went red… It's only four years old so I went back to the supplier who said plug in the iCue USB cable and switch if from multi-rail to single rail. Now I cannot do that since both of my internal USB slots are taken, one with the H100i Cooler and the other with the front USB slots which I use for my Wacom tablet and mouse.

Funnily enough having done the PSU test my system seems to have stabilised somewhat and only reboots occasionally not consistently. I am wondering what I have done? I know that I cannot add any more RAM in the vacant RAM slots since the USB cable coming out of the H100i cooler is in the way... I am also not convinced that going from multi-rail to single will make a difference since the PC has worked fine for four years. Using the iCue software I can also see that my system does not seem to suffer from overheating problems. Can I unplug the iClue USB cable from the H100 cooler temporarily and plug in my PSU just to check that out?

System seems to be running fine now and I haven't done anything other than install the iCue software which doesn't make sense since MemTest86 which doesn't boot into Windows still had the re-boot problem. Anyway happy bunny at the moment since it has remained stable for the past two days. So I am mystified, some sort of low level fault that has corrected itself?

Back
Top Bottom