Contactless payments to increase to £100 from 15/10

Soldato
It’s currently £45. I find this so wrong to increase this to £100. Some people on a tight budget may get themselves into trouble as they forget how much they are spending.

Also in shops, some people don’t understand when their payments have declined- a double beep, instead of a single long beep. Some tap card on machine, leave immediately before the payment has declined.

Sometimes customers are required to pay by chip n pin every now and then. It’s the bank, NOT the shop that decides this. Some customers get het up when they have to enter their PIN. How many seconds extra does it take to enter a PIN? Two! Then get those who don’t know their PIN. How do they cope if they spend above the contactless limit?

What do you think about the increase of the contactless limit? What other implications other than the ones mentioned above do you think will occur?

Soldato
OP
To those who only pay with contactless or on mobile, if the internet or contactless system goes down, they won’t work!

As a contractor drilled through the cable down where my work is and all shops’ internet went down. Some had to close. It was a nightmare as not only for payments, we had to hand write reduction labels, unable to activate gift cards, issue phone credit vouchers etc.

Soldato
OP
Are you for real? After reading all your posts in this thread I'm starting to think you're some kind of fake troll account.

Here's how you cancel your lost card easily.:
YOU PHONE THE CARD ISSUER.

Some banks even let you do it on the app, it really couldn't be much easier.
I’m no troll. I seriously doubt how my 93 year old grandmother will know how to do this. I know a few people who hate talking to call centres. Plus she’s one of these people who don’t ask for help, struggle. Then if one of us suggested something which she likes.

Soldato
OP
My bank a few years ago put just over £200k in my account. Because I get SMS alerts I knew immediately and called them. They investigated, recalled the money & then gave me £250 'for my honesty'.

I've no idea where the money came from or where it should have gone. It was just noted on my statement as "Internal Transfer"
Could be numbers mixed up or if the account details were verbally given, might have misheard 15 as 50 etc.

At a previous employer, there’s another employee with same first two initials as me and surname almost the same bar one letter. I got their salary paid. They had a more senior role and got paid about a third more than me. I rang HR and weren’t concerned. Kept the difference between my pay and theirs in bank account just in case they decided to take the money. Never I got reduced pay either. 8 months later, I left the employer as split up with ex. I was moving back to my parents, 100 miles away.

Received a full pay on the final pay packet. So that extra money from the overpayment helped me paying for fuel, get clothes for interviews etc .

Soldato
OP
Earlier in the year I got right moaned at by a woman at a burger van for using contactless, saying something about high fees, taking £2 of the £15 order or something like that. Trying to guilt trip me to magically find paper money in my wallet. The only reason I was buying something there was because they advertised as taking cards, I've not carried cash for over a year. I shrugged and told her to get a better service provider.

This is why some independent shops have signs "We only accept card payments for amounts over £X". Some places like this I don't feel comfy. I pay my hairdresser by cash as she's a sole trader only working 3.5 days a week (5 during the summer and December). Like to give her exact. So buy something at work with cash.

Another thing I hate, pay and display machines that only take cash! Have a hospital appt next week at a hospital with cash PnD machine. Must make sure I have the coins. The main hospital you pay on leaving and can be done with card. Then there's a town near me that charges 30p for parking and you can pay with card for that!

Soldato
OP
There are people still that don't have a bank card and only pay with cash. How can they cope these days? They must have been popular during the first lockdown when many essential retailers didn't want to know about cash! Then when places like cafes opened, it was card only for some.

Soldato
OP
Of course they do - the work involved in collecting manual payments is significantly more than direct debit.

Direct debit has been around since the 1960s, and been pretty much the norm since the 90s.

How old are you? You come across as somewhat of a luddite - perhaps it's time to accept some of the conventions of the 21st century.

I’m 40. I’m up to date with contactless, Apple Pay, direct debits and online banking.

I work at a supermarket with a large number of elderly customers who don’t do modern technology at all. Don’t have bank cards, draw pension at PO, pay all bills with cash there too. I had relatives doing the same thing. It drove their children potty. Even when one of them suggested that her mum could go onto a cheaper energy tariff online (daughter would have to do the account) and would save her £300 a year. Her mother wasn’t interested. “Oh I like to pay at the post office. The girls are nice”.

My dad sorted out his parents’ pensions so they come via bank credit as soon as pensions could be paid this way. It has saved them so much money and time (not queuing at PO for an hour). It was a blessing when my grandfather was ill and my grandmother was looking after him. Now my grandmother has been widowed for 11 years- her health isn’t wonderful - helps her too.

My father even deals with her finances and bills now. He has put her on online energy tariffs.

Back
Top Bottom