contention ratio ... better with smaller isps ?

Soldato
with a 50:1, is the 50 shared amongst users only with the same isp??
therefore if you use an isp with less users is there likely to be say , only 25 of the 50 slots being used as opposed to using an ISP like BT Broadband, where the 50 slots are likely to all be used up ?

or is the 50 just shared between users from any isp (any BT Wholesale max users)

does this make sense ? lol

Soldato
OP
it doesnt matter too much for me just now anyway as I'm in a contract with BT.... happy with it but could be better at peak times...

I have the idea of there being a 'server' capable of supplying 50 users, this would be a 50:1 contention ratio, is that right ?
is that "server" (as I call it) owned/controlled by BT Wholesale or is the 'server' rented/controlled by the ISP ?

I ask as my exchange only supplies about 400 houses, lot of old people too so the chances of lots of people using a 'quality' ISP here are very slim....so I'm thinking if the 'servers' are owned by the ISP rather than BT Wholesale then the less popular ISP(s) would be better as far less users ?

Soldato
OP
It's far away from your exchange, it isn't a server and it never ever got to 50:1.

The connection between the ISP and BTw is paid for by the ISP so how many/how fast they buy is governed partly by how much you're paying.
The connection's capable of servicing essentially as many users as the ISP wants to pack onto it (there's a limited number of users you can have using a given "connection", but they'd be seeing ridiculous levels of congestion before you got anywhere near that).

so does where you live matter at all?
what kind of area does the thing that's far away from the exchange cover ?? :D

Back
Top Bottom