Contracting?

Associate
Just thought I'd see if there is anyone else out there that has done any contracting?

I've been a C# developer for 5 years (programmer since 2000) and I'm considering it but I've no idea if I'm good enough or how good you need to even be. Any thoughts?

Soldato
I've been contracting doing C# development for over 5 years now.
Quality of contractors varies, just like permanent developers. There are a lot who are journeymen, but still make significantly more money than being permanent.

Where are you based?
I'm around London and there always seem to be a decent amount of contracts round here, especially if you have any financial markets experience.
There are obviously contracts available across the country (and beyond) but from my experience they are fewer and further between.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I'm based in the South-West, less contracts I'm sure but also less candidates/competition so maybe it evens out.

I'm no guru with C# ...but I can normally figure things out. Just wondering how you determine if you're good enough or if I'm reading too much in to it. Last thing I'd want was to get a contract and be like 'ummmm' :D

Soldato
How do you determine whether or not you're good enough for any role?
Contractors are not some special all-knowing group, just regular developers.
Yes, you'll be expected to get up to speed with projects quickly and learn new topics and concepts off your own back, but I would expect any decent developer to be doing this sort of stuff anyway.

Associate
OP
All good points, maybe it's an English thing!?

Problem with financial markets is you always need the experience in the first place, so you have to get lucky to get in the door.

Thanks for all your input, giving it serious consideration.

Soldato
Another question if you don't mind. Is the interview process any different with contracting?

It's usually simpler in my experience.
In most cases you'll have a telephone screening first to check you're not an idiot.
After that it's usually an hour or two face to face and then you'll get the offer, or not as the case may be.
In a couple of cases I've gone straight in for a face to face and had the offer after that.

My first contract I heard about the role on a Monday night from a friend.
I updated my CV on Tuesday, submitted it on Wednesday, interviewed on Thursday and had the offer by Friday lunchtime.

Associate
OP
Wow :D

I've sent an email to the "recruitment consultant" to see if he can narrow down the area a bit more.

My worry is that I need to give 4 weeks notice and have holiday booked in June.

Worth a shot I guess.

Soldato
I'm also curious how people start contracting from a permie role. What with notice periods etc.

Something I also read once is having a decent "war chest" in case things go sour, I can see how one could build up said war chest relatively quickly on contractor rates, but not how to build one up to start in the first place.

Soldato
I'd only worry about a notice period if it's three months.
No-one would bother about having four weeks notice when moving from permie to contractor.

As for the war chest, yes at the start chances are you won't have much but you should be able to build something up reasonably quickly.
If you're decent you shouldn't have too much time on the bench anyway.

Associate
When a contract says "6 months" that's how long they expect the work to take, but bear in mind that usually you'll be on a 1 or 2 week notice (sometimes longer but rare) so it doesn't really mean anything. The reason contractors can command higher rates is that we're a lot easier to get rid of if the work dries up or priorities change - fortunately I've not had this happen yet.

On the positive side if you're decent most places seem keen to keep you on, so that initial 6 months may turn into 10, 12 or longer. I know guys that have been at places for 2 or 3 years but it starts to look a bit suss with HMRC once it gets to that level. After a few contracts you'll hopefully start to have a network of people that are happy to suggest you via word of mouth before roles even get offered on the job boards.

The hardest bit is starting out - I had a 3 month notice with my previous permanent employer so I just had to bite the bullet and hope I could find something with a couple of weeks to go. Best thing to do is check to see how frequently contract roles come up in your area for your skills - if there seems to be stuff around all the time then go for it, but have at least 2 months of living expenses saved up as cover. If worst comes to worst, you could always go back to perm.

Back
Top Bottom