Contributing to Open Source Projects

Associate
Hey all,

A bit of background info, I started to learn Java just over 18 months ago and I have been a developer, developing a Java EE application for around 12 months now.

I want to start complimenting my skill set and experience with things outside of work. I started developing an android app but haven't got very far as the interest isn't there.

I think i'm interested in contributing to an open source project, even if it's just a bug fix or some refactoring I can help with.

Does anyone here contribute to anything or have any idea if any projects would accept contributions from someone with relatively little experience?

Dodgee

Associate
Contributions are contributions as in, it doesn't matter who you are, if you come across a problem or have a worthy contribution, then submit it. The whole point of open source is nobody owns it and anyone can change it and improve it.

You learning Java or Javascript? I don't know of any Java open source projects as it's not my field but there's tonnes of internet open source like WordPress and all the other CMS.

Associate
OP
Ahh cheers guys.

I'm learning Java, trying to learn some scripting languages but I wouldn't feel comfortable developing in anything else at the moment.

I'll take a look around some of the projects that interest me on github and pull the source down and start taking a look. :).

Associate
If you've learnt Java, why not make your own game? It's a great way to put into real world practice what you've learnt and will direct you towards new learning materials. Maybe you've got an idea to rival Angry Birds? I'm a web developer so Java isn't something I know anything about but the principals transfer. Sorry I couldn't be of more use.

Caporegime
Hey all,

A bit of background info, I started to learn Java just over 18 months ago and I have been a developer, developing a Java EE application for around 12 months now.

I want to start complimenting my skill set and experience with things outside of work. I started developing an android app but haven't got very far as the interest isn't there.

I think i'm interested in contributing to an open source project, even if it's just a bug fix or some refactoring I can help with.

Does anyone here contribute to anything or have any idea if any projects would accept contributions from someone with relatively little experience?

Dodgee

Be careful of the your work contract, any coding you do even at home may belong to your employer unless you explicitly seek IP separation.

Associate
OP
If you've learnt Java, why not make your own game? It's a great way to put into real world practice what you've learnt and will direct you towards new learning materials. Maybe you've got an idea to rival Angry Birds? I'm a web developer so Java isn't something I know anything about but the principals transfer. Sorry I couldn't be of more use.

I don't think I've got enough high level creativity for a game, I've still got my idea for scoring system for an android app in the back of my mind. Think I need to give myself a few hours, sit down and get stuck in to get things rolling. Don't expect to sell it or for it to be unique, more for my own learning benefit.

Associate
OP
Be careful of the your work contract, any coding you do even at home may belong to your employer unless you explicitly seek IP separation.

Ahh, good point! I know my boss actively encourages our developers to contribute to the open source community but i'll double check what the contract actually says.

Caporegime
Outside of work is outside of work. It's only the company's IP if he is developing on company time and/or property. What he does in his own time, with his own property is none of the company's business.

Of course if he is going to copy/paste the company's code he's in trouble, but other than that - company can keep their nose out of it.

Associate
Hey all,

Dodgee

do you know anything about php and mysql? Im working on a side project and kind of looking for someone who has the type of knowledge to help me out.

Back
Top Bottom