Controlling 3r party gpu fans

Associate
Hi there,

I have a PNY 2080 GTX triple fan graphics card and was decided rather than go down th AIO water cooler I’d try replacing the fans instead with 3 x Noctua NF-A9x 14 HS PWM fans(92x14mm)

They lined up pretty well. I bought a 3 way splitter cable and adapter hoping to fit them to the graphic card’s header. Unfortunately this turned out to be a longish ribbon connector which also connected the RGB lighting. Suffice today it wouldn’t fit so I ended up using one of the spare PWM fan headers on the motherboard. My question is do I have to manually control speed now because of this or are there other options. I have asus ASUS A- 7170 and use Fan expert 3’s presets to control tempratures.

The new fans have have lowered the temps but when windows boot they on full spin. Fan expect doesn’t seem to remember the settings of the fan header I set before.

Thanks.

Soldato
My Asus CH7 motherboard has a temperature sensor header and I've got a sensor attached to the back of the GPU under the cooler mount. The cards fans are hooked up to a motherboard fan header and are controlled using the temperature reading from the sensor. If your board doesn't have a thermal probe header you may need to get a fan controller that has them as you'll need some way of controlling the fans based on GPU temperature.

Its probably possible to take the signals from the GPU header but that would need some electrical knowhow and soldering.

FanXpert seems to prefer fans to be set to DC control in BIOS rather than PWM so it might be worth checking what your headers are set to if FanXpert is not behaving properly.

Associate
Normally aftermarket fans are a lot quieter than the ones you replace so sticking them on the motherboard and setting them to like 50% would be great.

Back
Top Bottom