Convert DTS to AC3?

Soldato
Hello,

As title, friends TV won't play some DVD "DTS" rips I have, what's the easiest way to convert the audio?

Any advice apricated!

Probably running it through Handbrake I'd think.

You should be able to choose to copy the video stream as-is and re-encode the audio.

Code:
ffmpeg -i "inputfile.mkv" -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -c:s copy "outputfile.mkv"

or

Code:
ffmpeg -i "inputfile.mkv" -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 192k -c:s copy "outputfile.mkv"

If you want to encode the audio with a specific bitrate e.g. 128k, 192k, 320k, 640k etc.

"-c:s copy" copies the subtitles if there are any.

Download ffpmeg first obviously, and type the above in A DOS window.

Or if you want to do a whole batch of multiple files at once, create a folder, put all your movies files in it, open a DOS command window, change directory to the folder you created, and type the following

Code:
for %i in (*) do ffmpeg -i "%i" -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -c:s copy "converted-%i"

Will convert each one in turn automatically. You must install ffmepg as per its instructions so that ffmpeg.exe is in your command path so Windows knows where it is when you try to run it from a DOS prompt.

edit: change ac3 to eac3 if the input files have more than 5.1 channels. Hopefully his player supports eac3(Dolby Digital Plus) to use that.

Last edited:
There used to be a tool called EAC3to that would do all those conversions too not sure if thats still a thing its been a while since I dabbled in the scene streaming content pretty much killed all that for me

Back
Top Bottom