Converting a Pashley into an E-Bike

Soldato
My wife’s always loved the Pashley style and about 7 years ago we got her a “Bobbin Birdie” which she enjoyed pottering around on.

Sadly she developed a condition which caused chronic pain and exhaustion. So was unable to ride it. Especially with it being quite hilly where we were. So it got sold when we moved house.

Earlier this year we went to Amsterdam and rented bikes and she got an E bike. She loved riding again and didn’t suffer too much afterwards.

Since we got back I’ve had my eye out on bikes but not seen much. Electric step over bikes always seem more expensive than other options and due to her lack of mobility she’d really need that style again.

I’ve seen a Pashley for sale locally which could be an ideal donor bike.

What would I need to look at for converting it to an ebike? I’ve had a read through the ebike thread but I’m not sure what options would be best for this style of bike.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Cheers

I was just coming back to add some details. Range I would think about 30miles would be nice. Gives us the chance to do some longer rides but also conscious of keeping weight down.

Am I better going this route? The other option is going for something off the shelf at around £700. I saw something called the Cyclotricity Jade. But wonder if I’d get something much better quality by doing it myself.

Also saw something on Pre Order called Swytch which looked good but no idea if that’s just marketing!

Soldato
OP
Any suggestions on the best Hub Motor kits? I assume for neatness a rear hub would be better since the battery will be on the pannier rack?

Assuming a budget around £400 for the whole lot inc battery, ideally i'd like an LCD screen too.

Soldato
OP
Brilliant. Thank you for that. I hadn’t heard of Dillinger on my searches.

I have signed up for the Pre Order if Swytch. Will see what happens with that though.

The Pashley I saw for sale sold elsewhere. I’ve suggested at the weekend we head to a bike shop and look at “ladies” specific bikes rather than the Dutch style to see if she finds that better. My thinking is that it should reduce weight and make the bike more manageable and possible open up more options for a conversion.

Back
Top Bottom