Cookie Opt in

Associate
Sorry if already discussed but couldn't see a thread on this.

Pretty soon the UK law is changing meaning all websites that store cookies on users computers need to get the users permission or acknowledgement to use them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17745938

I have been toying with a small affiliate site and this means that i will need to add a pop-up asking if the user is ok with cookies.

This also goes for pretty much every site on the internet - certainly any that have affiliate links and banner ads.

I'm a total novice but this law seems ridiculous and i can't see it sticking. Cookies on the whole seem very misunderstood by the masses and i would assume average joe will not allow cookies given the option.

So...anyone got any opinions on this? are you going to comply?

Associate
OP
so far i haven't seen it on any websites apart from the BT one mentioned in the BBC article - even then i clicked away from the message without actually selecting an option and it vanished.

i think i'll hold off until i see it being implimented more widely. i'm not making any money anyway but interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

Associate
OP
So it looks like it's not worth spending too much time on this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18090118

The article states that they aren't going to be looking for sites that don't comply, just reacting to complaints. Makes sense really otherwise they would need several thousand people working on it.

Even then it seems as long as you are thinking about implimenting it you will be ok. Seeing as the Government sites will not be complying when it goes live and that most other big companies won't I can't see this sticking around for long.

Associate
OP
I see the BBC news website has implimented this. Also has a nice section explaining what they are which nobody will read.

Fairly cleaver tactic of making the user hit continue to a message they probably won't read and then never having to ask them again.

Back
Top Bottom