Cooking with Jonny69: Rabbit goujons with potato, kohlrabi and fennel gratin

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I was inspired by FF and BB's pheasant breast goujons and felt I had to have a bit of that breaded goodness myself. I had the loins left from my rabbit but I'd eaten all my bacon, so ideal opportunity for rabbit goujons! To serve with it, we've got a lot of rooty style vegetables in season at the moment and I had potatoes, kohlrabi and fennel in the fridge. I made use of the Magimix and made a big gratin. I needed a souce, something tangy and sweet, but I didn't want to waste my wine and I didn't have any port. I did have some chutney though, so decided to take a risk, since the rabbit is quite strong tasting and I'd used mature cheddar in the gratin. In the end it worked very well and I'd do it again.

For the goujons:
2 rabbit loins
Flour to dust
Milk to dunk
Breadcrumbs for rollin'

For the gratin:
3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 kohlrabi, peeled and sliced
1 small bulb of fennel, sliced

Sauce base for the gratin:
Large knob of butter
1 tablespoon of plain flour
200ml milk
Large handful grated mature cheddar

Start with the gratin. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Cook the flour out and slowly add the milk to make a white sauce. Stir in most of the cheese, keeping some back for sprinkling over the top. Layer up the sliced vegetables in an oven dish, pour over the sauce, sprinkle the cheese over the top, then sprinkle a generous layer of breadcrumbs over the top. Put that in the oven at 180 for about an hour.

I made that sound very complicated for what is actually a very simple dish...

IMG_7587.JPG

For the goujons. Cut each loin in half across the middle. Dust generously with flour and allow to sit for a minute or two. Dunk each one in the milk and immediately roll it in the breadcrumbs. Then drop them into hot oil and fry, turning once to make sure they brown on both sides. Plonk them on some kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil and season with salt. Serve with the gratin and chutney:

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7590.JPG

Bit of a brown meal, but it tasted GOOD! The gratin was really hearty with a rooty-earthy taste from the kohlrabi and fennel, then mature cheddar following it up. This was complimented perfectly by the chutney, but by all means use something like Branston. Nice crunch on the outside of the rabbit, then succulent and tasty inside :)

Soldato
Why did you not cut the goujoin so we can see the bunny wabbit!? Argh.

I can't get on with rabbit, tried it a couple of times and just find it too earthy. Nice colouring though.

Man of Honour

Indeed, looks spectacular.

It is very gamey. I have some rabbit burgers that a butcher seemed to just mince and press like hell loads of it in a patty, which was massively over gamey even for me.

If you can find a good butchers or obtain the rabbits yourself through friends. Then don't hang them for long. The longer they are hanged, the gamier they will taste.

Back
Top Bottom