Coolant pipe blown off?

Soldato
If there is enough pressure in the coolant system to blow a coolant hose off, am I right to think OMG HGF? The car has had strange starting tendencies of late also.

Soldato
OP
Any simple checks for HFG? It starts funny sometimes after being sat (friends 106 did this and that had failed) We stopped in asda got fuel and by the time he'd got out of the car the cooling fans had cut in. (car has previously been overheated badly I should add)

Soldato
OP
Doesn't beat it? He only knows two speeds most of the time - Go and stop. Bloody thing just passed the MOT too! Its the first time its blown a hose yes.

However he's just put a new turbo on there so I'm thinking maybe he didnt tighten the rad hoses up enough. That or he didn't bleed it properly. Can a large amount of air cause this (would the air also cause the cooling fans to come on after a second or two?)

Cheers for the replies guys

Soldato
OP
AGW - Its a L reg 220 GTi turbo. He loves the car to bits, who wouldn't. I was going to agree with you in that bhp/£ thread nothing really beats a Rover tubby.

Soldato
OP
220engine.jpg

AGW - The pipe that gets solid is excellently illustrated in this fine borrowed picture by the purple circle. The pipe that blew off is in red.

As I said to you over mobile msn just so others might have some idea. We had the engine running with the cap off the coolant tank and when ash turned the car off it boiled right over.

Soldato
OP
Update guys -

We went out again tonight and the following -

Temperature gauge went funny so we pulled into a nearby carpark. Coolant tank was empty and pressure was getting past the jubilee clip on the thermostat housing (a vast amount of air coming out).

Waited for her to cool down and filled it up again (at least two litres of water went in)... started it up with the cap off and the water started to expand out of the expansion tank.

A friend and I are positive its head gasket but the owner doesn't think so.

Opinions please? :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for clarification on the bleeding etc simon :) The guy who came to replace the turbo coolant hose said we'd have to bleed it by taking the small return pipe off the thermostat housing and waiting for water to emerge. (maybe he knew nothing lol!)

Will get him to check his bores and plugs for water as you said :) Cheers again.

Back
Top Bottom